1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College FB Bowl-o-Rama

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by I Should Coco, Dec 19, 2014.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

And after the crazy lateral play, they run an awful goal-line fade on the two-point conversion. Bad coaching in bad bowl games for the win.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

When it works, the fade looks like a great play. When it doesn't, it looks like a horrible play. The worse call was going for 2. Your team scores three touchdowns in the final three minutes and you don't give them an opportunity to play overtime?

3. SnarkShark

Good point. Central Michigan would have all the momentum in OT.

4. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

That's two bonehead coaching moves is as many days.

San Diego State loses Poinettia Bowl after mismanaging the final drive that ended with a 34-yard missed field goal. Why they didn't center the ball in the middle of the field -- they had a timeout, but threw incomplete on 3rd down -- is beyond me.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Come on, guys. It's a meaningless bowl game on Christmas Eve.

Roll the dice, have some fun, go for two. If the defense is playing that bad, a two-pointer is a high-percentage play anyway.

6. SnarkShark

I'm fine with going for two. Not fine with the goal-line fade.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That was a hell of a fourth quarter by the Chips. They scored five TDs in the quarter to almost pull off the crazy comeback. Had it on in the background, and the only reason CMU had a chance for the wild lateral play was Western Kentucky's punt, with 10 seconds left, barely hopped into the end zone.

Great finish ... and I like going for 2 and the win, just not the play call. Why not have the QB roll out on a run/pass option? Instead, a fade pattern which had little chance of being caught.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I doubt if it would have made any difference. As someone who has followed the team since first setting foot on campus in 1989, I can tell you the one constant for the Aztecs has been a field-goal kicker blowing it in a crucial moment of a big game.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Quarterback bootleg. Receivers drag all the coverage left, quarterback rolls right, tight end blocks and then releases to the right, and there's usually only one bug-eyed defender to beat with the pass or run. Hard as hell to stop from 5 yards in.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Or, the immortal delay draw off the same action. QB boots right as described above, receivers take the coverage left, QB rolls right, looking to throw, then slips the ball to a RB who appears to be blocking; zippo, he's in.

If things really start dissolving and going to hell, the QB can go ahead and lob it into the left corner of the EZ where all the receivers are and hope someone comes up with it.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They should have done the Statue of Liberty play.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Illinois goes down to Louisiana Tech, which probably would have finished in the upper half of either Big 10 division.

Even as an Iowa fan, I'm not optimistic about the Big 10's chances this bowl season. Only teams I see having a chance at wins are Rutgers, Michigan State, Ohio State and Iowa. And I'm a little biased on that last pick ...

Draft saved Draft deleted