1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College essay prompt: If you could go back in time...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jay Sherman, Aug 25, 2008.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Jesus.

2. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I guess the residents of the 5th Ward forgot to check their Blackberries that day.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Remember this word: Yahoo!

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Or their TVs. Or their radios. Or their newspapers. Or talk to their friends. Or the police traveling from neighborhood to neighborhood telling folks to get the fark out.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://209.85.215.104/search?q=cache:fCMSX0TWCYcJ:www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9358447/+MOST+OF+THE+AREA+WILL+BE+UNINHABITABLE+FOR+WEEKS...PERHAPS+LONGER.+AT&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=us

The Katrina link, great pull Jake.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If I could go back in time, I would buy Microsoft in 1986, then .coms in 1993, then real estate in 2000, then gold and oil in 2005.

I would never work another day in my life.

As far as warning people, one person could stop Columbine or Virginia Tech or any other senseless shooting. I'm not sure that one voice could have changed the others.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'd tell people not to vote for the younger, dumber Bush.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

'twas Angola with the pull. And the link is cool too.

9. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Considering how much time it takes to establish an infrastructure, I'd probably go a lot farther back than 15 years.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No offense to anyone in NOLA or the Gulf, because that was the worst and most heartbreaking disaster I've ever seen, but I don't think "warning people about Katrina" would have made a damn bit of difference.

AP story ... from two days ago!: <a href="http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jMa_nuEikwXhi2pghnzi2sacoKfAD92OF3I80">New Orleans repeating deadly levee blunders</a>

Why, why, why? Somebody get a fucking clue.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That weather service warning still gives me the chills.

But the odd thing was . . . it never came to pass (exactly as predicted). Katrina dropped to a Cat 3 and spared New Orleans a direct hit.

Most of the suffering and damage was caused by the flooding due to the levees failing.

A Cat 5 direct hit would have been everything the NWC predicted.

But Katrina didn't have to be.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I would have to be 10-15 years older, but I'd go and be a professor in college and warn all the writers about how bad things could be in the industry.

Draft saved Draft deleted