1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 4, 2009.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Look for Trooper Taylor to be one of the first people Fred Smith and Tiger High interview to replace Tommy West. He'd be a great hire, IMO.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I hate to see that happen to Elson, who did a good job with WKU when they were a I-AA team. I had pleasant dealings with him.

3. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

WKU did get dominated, at home, by a 5-4 provisional I-AA team this season.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Tommy West ripped Memphis in his final press conference...

http://www.wmctv.com/global/category.asp?c=151146&clipId=&topVideoCatNo=15040&topVideoCatNoB=105461&topVideoCatNoC=117912&topVideoCatNoD=169582&topVideoCatNoE=106890&autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=4284183&flvUri=&thirdpartymrssurl

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

That was great. I wish he wuld have stayed and taken questions.

And the guy probably has a point. For years Microville Tech underfunded its football program. Then, about 12 years ago, it decided it didn't want to be a national joke anymore and began making a serious investment in the program instead of getting by on the cheap.

The result was a complete turnaround in a place that, like Memphis, was considered a coaching graveyard. I'd expect it was the same was at KU and KSU.

I don't know how well the university suports the Memphis program. Not well enough, I guess, if West is to be believed.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well, they clearly don't support it as much as they do the hoops team...

If they did, the football team would be on probation... :)

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

ZING!

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

And it could be headed the same place next year, considering the Wolverines lose their top three defensive players to graduation.

Of course, since their schedule will feature powerhouses as UConn*, UMass and Bowling Green, they might stumble toward five wins again.

*at least they're playing one BCS conference school.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I agree with West, though I'd bet that the Commercial-Appeal HAS helped the program, in terms of pub, marketing deals etc.

Memphis must be a weird place to be a sports fan, between the college and the Grizzlies, yet access to Nashville, Arkansas and St. Louis not too far away.
    But Micro guy is right - and I don't care how much it annoys the faculty or academics first crowd - a strong football program helps an entire campus. Oregon State's enrollment has doubled since Mike Riley was hired the first time around. Doubled. That is more teachers, administrators, rental units, more biz on game days for the local economy.
    When people say "it's not about the money" they mean that the university is showing their commitment to a person or a program. Memphis can do what it always does, and hire a coach willing to say the right things (this program is a sleeping giant), but it comes from the top down. If I'm a finalist for the job I ask for a sitdown with the school president.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Memphis is sort of an Atlanta West in it comes to football in that it is a melting pot. Ole Miss is an hour down the road and they and UT have the most fans, but Arkansas, State and Bama all have strong contingents as well. In winter, the city mostly unites around its pro hoops franchise, and a handful of people follow the Grizzlies as well.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if Tommy West is blaming Memphis's administration for him sucking as a head coach at Clemson, too?

12. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Tommy West would have been fired a long time ago had DeAngelo Williams not been pussy whipped.

Draft saved Draft deleted