1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 4, 2009.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Hasn't Patterson been at TCU for like eight years? DIdnt he take over when coach Fraaaaaan-fuckin-chione left for Alabama? I'm surprised he's just now getting a look. They've been a competitive football team for years.

So far the only sure fire job openings I see are Virginia (couldn't happen to a nicer guy) and Louisville (couldn't happen to a more clueless guy).

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Actually, I think schools turned him down after going through the vetting process, rather than the other way around. He's a bit of a loose cannon in the Mike Leach mold (single guy, been known to carouse a bit). He could have had the Alabama job if not for that (he was a serious candidate for the job when they hired Mike Shula, but on the heels of the Mike Price debacle, Alabama passed).

As for Patterson, I think Auburn really wanted to hire him last year, but he didn't want to go there knowing the B.S. he'd have to deal with from boosters and the like.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

To add to your point Armchair, I don't see Ferentz leaving until his last kid is out of college (the last one who's at Iowa City High now). His middle kid, James, is a soph (?) on the team. Ferentz prefers to have all of his kids go through college before Mary and him think or consider leaving Iowa City, or unless Penn State begs him to return to Pennsylvania and replaces JoePa.

Mustangj, that is stupid as hell to say that Ferentz is getting national attention for the first time. Have you forgot 2002, when he was named National Coach of the Year and the Hawks won the Big 10 title and went to the Orange Bowl? How about the last-second win to send Nick Saban out a loser at LSU in the CapOne Bowl?

Take the blinders off. Everyone knows who Ferentz is and to say he's finally getting the attention he's been seeking is insane and makes you look like an ass.

The guy's respected in NFL and college circles and he would rather do his job without the press following him like a rock star.

Only a dumbass who doesn't pay attention to what Ferentz has done with Iowa would say that.

4. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I wonder how much slack Michigan's new AD (who will start next year) will give RichRod. U-M's season is headed straight down the toilet - again.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I suppose that depends on who gets the job. If it's one person whose name has been mentioned on this thread from time to time, probably not very much.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The way I see it Boise State has the same number of quality wins as Florida.

7. Steak Snabler

Two I-A openings as of today ...

Memphis:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/nov/09/tommy-west-fired-memphis-tigers-football-coach/

And Western Kentucky:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4637342

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

In other words, two possible jobs for Charlie Weis next year.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Interesting.
    From that W.Ky. story:
    Western Kentucky have fired coach David Elson amid the Hilltoppers' first fully eligible season for Football Bowl Subdivision play, a source told ESPN.com's Pat Forde on Monday.

Hmm. Seems the Hilltoppers has some work to do.

Story came from ESPN.com news services. Did it make a wire that way? Western Kentucky have? Really?

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's the new Brit style. Get hip to it, old man. :)

11. Steak Snabler

Maybe it was first reported by Reuters ...

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Clem Haskins doesn't have much going on these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted