1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If Petersen is smart, he stays put. He can make $1 million a year there and be the king of the state for the next 20 years.

I could see Patterson go to Colorado.

Am I mistaken in thinking there won't be too many high-profile openings this year?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The AD has the right idea, and not just for financial reasons. If you get into a cycle of canning coaches every 3-4 years, you're never going to improve.

3. Mizzougrad96

Notre Dame looks pretty smart for not pulling the trigger on Weis last year.

4. Armchair_QB

No, you're not.

And yeah, Sumlin should definitely be on the list of "hot" candidates. I think he'll be at UH another year though.

Al Golden should be on that list too. He will more than likely be in the UVa conversation.

But unless Joe Paterno retires it just doesn't look like a lot of attractive BCS jobs are going to open up at this point.

I think this will be a big year for coordinators moving into HC jobs.

5. Mizzougrad96

Who knows maybe someone offers Meyer enough $$$ to jump to the NFL and Ferentz finally decides to jump after being rumored for almost every NFL opening in the last five years.

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

I don't think there's anyway Meyer goes anywhere.

Ferentz......who knows?

7. Armchair_QB

I don't see Ferentz jumping til his last kid is out of high school.

And Meyer's making enough at UF that I doubt he's even thinking about the NFL.

8. Mizzougrad96

You should be right about Meyer, but from what I hear, his ego is Sabanesque and he wouldn't mind being able to do something that Spurrier and Saban couldn't do.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Yeah, Groh's in a gots-to-go situation. Talk on fan boards revolves around:

London (strong possibility, in my uneducated opinion)
    Tuberville (delusional)
    Richt (ditto)
    Grobe (why would he make the move, alum or not?)

Air Force coach Troy Calhoun was getting mentions, but that's died down. Some folks wanted Cutcliffe recently (see Grobe, but not an alum). Derek Dooley from Louisiana Tech is also a UVa grad and was considered a rising star, but I haven't seen his name much lately. Surprisingly, Al Golden's name hasn't been mentioned that much.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Does Louisville have the budget to eat his contract if it boots Steve Kragthorpe out the door? Isn't he leading the most-likely-to-get-fired lists? Or shouldn't he be?

11. derwood

derwood Active Member

Barring a miracle he is gone.

12. Mizzougrad96

I would think Kragthorpe would be on most lists.

Draft saved Draft deleted