1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College chap ponders Sid Hartman's insult

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Sep 19, 2006.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I have no doubt Hartman's an asshole. I also have no doubt this Spang guy is going to need a much thicker skin, because he's gonna have a lot worse directed his way. This seems a minor thing to write a column about.

2. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

SF_Express: Jim is still with us, but he's not with us, that's for sure. When he retired about 15 years ago, he said the thing he'd miss least was working with his Model 100 laptop. I'm guessing he hasn't adopted the online way of life from his retirement perch in Arcadia.

dooley_womack1: Well said. You've gotta figure this kid has opened himself up to a few years' worth of needling about his hurt feelings. On the other hand, it is interesting to note how his naivete has exposed Hartman for the jerk that he reportedly is to a wider audience. Life's too short to put up with jerks, and if the column helps usher one out the door, then maybe it's worth it after all.

3. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Looks like the guy was trying to hit on a female in the SID's office, and Hartman walked by and cut him off at the pass. Nasty thing to do, but nothing to do with the young man's talent or eventual future in the business. :)

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I wouldn't piss on Sid if he was on fucking fire.

5. What if you and he were making an R Kelly video?

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

interesting way of looking at it. i wonder if that's all sid meant. but i sat in the pressbox with sid plenty of times when i was in the business, so i'm guessing that's not what sid meant.

as for whether sid has been told off, it happens periodically. other reporters have cursed him and yelled at him at press conferences and practices. nothing really happens. he just smiles and walks out.

i remember he once told me the secret to getting all his scoops was that he uses this big ass tape recorder that's about the size of a suitcase. i'm assuming it's something that radio types carried around 20-30 years ago. he said athletes knew when they talked into that thing that they could trust it. i just looked at him. i still have no clue what he was talking about.

7. Forget the column, college chap. You should have followed him out into the hall and yelled, "Hey, old man! Come back here and I'll give you a faceful of nothing!"

Or at the very least keyed his car in the parking lot. :D

8. joe

joe Active Member

I don't care if he's 86 years old. Somebody calls me out in front of witnesses -- or without witnesses -- I'm beating the fuck right out of his ass.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

"I couldn't believe it. Did he just call me a nothing?

Without thinking, I jumped out of my seat and looked right in Sid's eyes. 'You mother fucking smelly ass old cocksucker..' was all I could muster before I put a fist right to his face and wailed away on him, like Stewie the bookie did on Brian in the bathroom.

I was liberated. I beat the fuck out of an 86-year old dickhead. I then pulled out my gat and busted a cap in his motherfucking kneecap for good measure.

Who's the nothing now, punk bitch?"

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

That was a joke, by the way.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

And a fairly decent one at that.

12. KP

KP Active Member

Ron Borges would have fought him.

Draft saved Draft deleted