1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College chap ponders Sid Hartman's insult

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Sep 19, 2006.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Gawd, yes.

Someone tell me a Fuck Sid story.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, this won't qualify, but I know that in 1978 or 1979 ('80?), all the Buccaneers writers were at the Met covering a Bucs-Vikings game. We had a fairly close-knit group of Bucs beat writers who had a lot of fun, and laughed a lot, and didn't take it very seriously. This game was the infamous "Neil O'Donoghue tries to kick the ball out of bounds and whiffs" game, and we were laughing the whole time, telling jokes, cracking up, making fun. And I know that we deeply offended Sid in the middle of his berating the officials from the pressbox.

So we didn't, unfortunately, tell him to fuck off, but I know we ruined his day because we weren't disposed to kneel down and bow before NFL Football, and when he got mad about it, we laughed at him, too.

Sorry, that's the best I can do. But it's a true story.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

That was an interesting group, by the way. Jerry Greene from Orlando (hence, a lot of the laughter). Ron Martz, who ended up embedded in Iraq and still works for the AJC, I believe. Pat Zier (wonder what happened to him?). Ed Meyer (Akron, I think). Hubert Mizell was there, probably. McEwen.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Maybe that took 10 years off his life. Pity the bastard will now make it to 120...

5. ECrawford

ECrawford Member

I wouldn't sweat it too much. In fact, I'm starting to feel a little disappointed that time is running out for me to be called "a nothing" by Sid Hartman.

I would say it makes a much better story at the bar than a newspaper column.

I remember Billy Reed telling me a story about Adolph Rupp. He said he walked up to Rupp's office and to his secretary's desk and asked, "Can I get a minute?" She stuck her head in the door, and Reed could hear Rupp saying, from where he was, "What does that little turd want now?"

He got a kick out of it. I'd say that may be the best way to take it.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

the only thing more pitiful than sid is the way the twin-city sports honchos continue to kiss his ring. as long as that's the case, the monster will never die..... until he does, literally.

p.s. -- shouldn't an 86-year-old man with tons of money be retired in a warmer place than minnesota? talk about a man with no life outside his own, bitter celebrity. :eek: :eek: :eek:

the next person with a nice thing to say about sid will be the first. he must be so proud. ??? ??? ???

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

well, I'm sure he's got cronies, unless he outlived them all.

But in this biz, you're right ...

8. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Based on what you've offered here, using triangulation, I figure your real identity must be ... Jim Selman? :)

Pat Zier retired about 8 or 9 years ago and last I heard was living the good life in Lakeland.

To get the thread back on topic, McEwen, of course, is Tampa's own version of Sid, only a million times nicer. When Tom calls you a name, he does it playfully, with a smile and a pat on the back, and you tend to treasure it. At least I always did/do.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I was going with Lee Roy Selmon.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dewey Selmon... or Dewey Duck....

11. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Better to be a nobody like that college kid than a "somebody" like Sid.

Fuck Sid.
    Suck Fid.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You know, I thought about the Sid-Tom parallel when posting, in terms of weight in the community, but of course, you're exactly right. One was/is a decent human being to colleagues young and old.

I don't know if Jim is still with us (hope so) but I bet he probably isn't posting here. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted