1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Beat Writer -- The (Lafayette, La.) Daily Advertiser,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Jul 12, 2011.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Yeah, Don's is top of the line. My wife's family is from about 2 miles from that exit (Scott exit on I-10), so I've come to learn all about the whole cajun processed meat thing. People who know Louisiana food only from New Orleans miss a lot of good west Louisiana specialties like Boudin and the andouille. Not big on cracklins, but I do like fried pork skins (sometimes people call those cracklins too).

Nobody does them better than Don's. There may be other places that can hang with Don's, but nobody's better.

And to tie it to a previous post, Fezzo's and Don's are on the access road at the same exit in Scott. You can knock out both on one trip. What they need to add on that access road is a cardiologist's office, just to make it complete.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

My mom lived for the last decade or so of her life in LaPlace, La., which bills itself as the "Andouille Sausage Capital of the World." So yeah, I've partaken of that a time or two as well.

Andouille's kinda like bacon. It goes great with everything ...

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

This thread is really cooking now. :)

You guys are making at least one poster a touch homesick.

4. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

There's a place in Jackson, MS in the Fondren District that's got great anouille. Que Sera Sera. Best red beans and rice I've ever had. Order double sausage on it and thank me later.

Lafayette is awesome in the food department, though. I miss going through there.

5. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

And we haven't even brought up Pat's yet...

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Mulate's gumbo is a little better, but overall I prefer Prejeans. Never done Fezzo's, but that may be a stop we make the next time we drive to Houston.

7. JP24

JP24 New Member

LaPlace is the hometown of former Cajun RB Tyrell Fenroy. Finished as the Sun Belt's all-time leading rusher as a senior in 2008.

Speaking of food, I'm personally a big fan of the Blue Dog Cafe in Lafayette.

On another note: As for football travel, you have to stay at the team hotel and ride on one of the team buses to and from the game and airport (sometimes you can ride with the SID in a rental car). You arrive late in the afternoon the day before the game and leave for the airport almost immediately afterward, so there's little time to do much other than work.

8. JP24

JP24 New Member

For some added context: Bob hired me from a non-Gannett newspaper (Abilene, Texas) to work for him at a Gannett newspaper (Jackson, Tenn.). He then hired me to work for him at a Gannett newspaper (Lafayette, La.). In both Jackson and Lafayette he hired people from outside Gannett.

Bob certainly knows what he's doing. I've never seen a more dedicated editor, plus he's led the way for multiple national award-winning sections. Brady is an award-winning writer (his coverage of the Saints' Super Bowl season was impressive), has layout and video experience and has worked with Bob in the past. He's beyond qualified for this position as a former assistant sports editor, preps editor and college beat reporter.

You'd probably be best served to let this one go. One day you might have the connections and resume to get the job you want.

9. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

Any word on this one? I know the deadline for resume's is Sunday, but I was just wondering if they had started contacting people yet.

10. Dave Dyer

Dave Dyer New Member

I sent mine in about five days ago, haven't heard anything as of yet.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What do people expect? You might not hear anything for a few weeks, or anything at all.

12. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Wait, jobs don't hire in one week? WHAT?

Draft saved Draft deleted