1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Beat Writer -- The (Lafayette, La.) Daily Advertiser,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Jul 12, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

The Daily Advertiser is looking for a college beat writer to cover the University of Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin’ Cajun athletic department. Main responsibilities will be to cover the Division I athletic program in the Sun Belt Conference. The ideal candidate will be able to show a successful portfolio that includes enterprise work, exclusive breaking news and social media.

Please send resume and 6-8 clips to Kevin Foote, sports editor, at kfoote@theadvertiser.com.

Please reference UL REPORTER JOB in the subject line. Deadline to apply is July 24.

Per: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1268951

Looks like a decent gig.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Lafayette can be a really fun town if you're a young, single person.

ULL's pretty wretched in football, though.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

A couple good opportunities lately for writers to get their first college beat.

4. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Looks like a heck of a job.

5. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Lafayette's a great place to live and the UL beat is not a bad beat at all, as far as college beats go.

The programs haven't been world-beaters, but the football team has a new coach in place and there's excitement for this season and beyond. The basketball program has Bob Marlin in his second year and is coming off a good late-season surge.

Baseball is usually pretty good and made it to the CWS in 2000. Softball is interesting in that it's considered a high priority in the beat. The softball program is a perennial top 25 team and is pretty much a shoe-in for regional play every year.

Obviously there's a lot of good food to eat in this area. New Orleans is two hours away, Baton Rouge is an hour away.

Anyone have any further questions, you can PM me and I can maybe fill in some details (although I don't know the pay range, so don't ask me that. LOL)

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It's a great gig, if you wanna sweat bullets and wonder if you'll make it through Gannett's next quarterly purge.

7. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Wicked is right about Gannett. The paper is a shell of its former self and is down to three on the sports staff, if I'm not mistaken (the design hub taking away deskers, of course).

But I love Lafayette as a mid-sized town. Great food, good fun. It's not just a good place for single people. Pretty good schools there too.

This is an intriguing one.

8. Always used to love going through there when they were in the Southland Conference back in the 90s.

9. BrianGriffin

You'd have to go back a lot further than the 90s to find them in the SLC. They left in the mid-80s. By the 90s they were either in the American South (football independent) or the Sun Belt (probably still a football independent until the SBC added football).

10. Not in the football sense, but did cross through there with basketball/baseball/softball during that time. Should have clarified, but good pickup, Brian.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

They were also in the Big West (at least in football) for a short time in the mid-90s.

12. BrianGriffin

I get a point for remembering the American South, but a deduction for forgetting the Big West ...

Draft saved Draft deleted