1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College beat writer conundrum

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hammer Pants, Mar 24, 2009.

1. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I think we all know the score here. If your number comes up, no amount of extra effort is going to change a thing. You can play the blame game from now until eternity, but that doesn't change the industry and where it's headed. It is what it is. But...

We are all (presumably) professionals, even if we aren't paid like it, and we owe it to ourselves and our readers to continue to give our best effort every day we're on the job.

For me, the deal is this. I'm 50-plus years old and I've been in this business for more than 25 years. I don't know how to do anything else. It's either newspapers or stocking shelves at Target (which might pay better, but that's beside the point). As long as I still have a job at the paper and can draw a paycheck doing something I love, I'm going to do the best job there that I possibly can. I always have and I always will.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Honestly, given all the cutbacks and furloughs, I'm really surprised that anyone has just one specific beat anymore. It would seem that once a certain season is done, you'd be assigned something else, be it GA or another beat.

Cause we all gotta do "more with less", right?

As for job security, unless you are a total blowhard and slacker, I don't think it will matter. I worked at least as hard and long as anyone else in my shop and yet got the short straw simply because I made more than anyone except the SE.

3. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Before I was laid off, my down time didn't start until the summer. I covered one of the few schools, I suppose, where there is good interest in baseball.

Lots of fun when I went to Omaha. One time, I got back home, it seemed like a week went by, and it was time to start getting football stuff ready.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Certain beats have more than enough to cover (and more than enough reader interest) to keep one person extremely busy 9-10 months per year.

Draft saved Draft deleted