1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Basketball Writers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by writer200707, Dec 12, 2007.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

The national guys -- Andy Katz, Jeff Goodman, Gary Parrish, Mike DeCourcy -- are all very good at what they do.

I don't really consider Pete Thamel a college basketball writer, since he really seems to do more college football. Dan Wetzel at Yahoo is tremendous on college hoops, though he's a general columnist now.

As far as newspapers, it would be hard to beat the year-round college hoops coverage in Lexington and Memphis, as mentioned above.

2. Gil_Hicks

Gil_Hicks New Member

Dick Jerardi at the Philly Daily News. Leading the Big 5 beat is pretty damn cool...

3. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

Rob Schultz, The Capital Times

Jeff Shelman of the Minneapolis Star Tribune also used to be one of the best (he also did college basketball stuff for ESPN.com at the same time), but I believe he moved over to the metro section (not sure if it was by choice).

4. I second that; he writes very solid stuff on a consistent basis.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

from what i've been told, jeff moved by choice and is enjoying the easy life of a news side writer. but he did do one hell of a job on college hoops.

6. writer200707

writer200707 New Member

the best national guys?

7. Another vote here for Schultz of the Cap Times, from a colleague on the same beat.

Draft saved Draft deleted