1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Basketball Thread II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Feb 17, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Man, I am so disappointed in you.

I will stalk you now.

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

And VCU gets a home game in the NIT.

3. JBHawkEye

Can't wait to see who the CBI invites. :)

Kansas City Star had a story today with Missouri saying they weren't interested in playing in the CBI. In so many words, the AD said the tournament sounded shady.

4. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Which is bullshit. What does that even mean, "shady"? And if you have a chance to play a postseason game, what possible reason can you give for not taking it? Senior-laden team wants one more hurrah, young team wants a chance to build for next year. Doesn't make sense.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Also, to O'Connor's credit, he didn't have to vouch for Mason. They won the automatic bid, which took him off any conspiracy theory against W&M.

By the way, I heard about this CBI deal on radio the other day. This is going to be interesting to watch this play out.

6. JBHawkEye

I misspoke (shouldn't have used the word 'shady'). Alden's concern was that there weren't many details on how the tournament operates.

Here's what the Star had:

The College Basketball Invitational need not invite Missouri. The Tigers won’t accept.

“Our focus is on the NCAA and the NIT,” MU athletic director Mike Alden told The Star on Wednesday.

Alden said part of the problem with the debut of the 16-team tournament being organized by The Gazelle Group out of New Jersey is that schools don’t have many details about it.

“To host, they’re asking for a guarantee of $60,000,” Alden said. “You’d start out by writing a check.”

A mock tournament field based on last season would have included Missouri, Nebraska and Oklahoma. And the CBI supposedly will lean toward non-NCAA teams from major conferences.

But, Alden said, discussions in Kansas City at the Big 12 tournament have raised a great deal of skepticism about the CBI. Rick Giles, an official with the Gazelle Group, made no public comment to The Star.

Draft saved Draft deleted