1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Basketball Thread II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'll start it off with a "no comment."

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Why the coverup?

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I simply do not understand how year-in, year-out teams do real well at home, then poorly against the same teams on the road.
    Witness today - Ohio State getting hammered at Michigan.
    Is the officiating in some way tied in with this trend?
    Are the hoops greased pre-game, then again at halftime?

Also witness: yesterday when MSU tackled Arkansas at home, just 2 weeks after getting blown out by 25 in Fayetteville.

4. Moderator1

Routine, man, routine.
    I cannot sleep the first night in a hotel ever. It's why I worked out a deal when I covered Virginia Tech to get the same room in the same hotel every time. Still get it when I visit the kids. They call it the Harris Suite. As many trips I take/took over there for one night, I'd be a dead man otherwise. The room is familiar and I can sleep.

Dealing with people abusing you isn't the problem. You are out of your routine and many people don't handle that.

5. Moderator1

No comment.

6. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Here's the only story I can find on Gillispie leaving UK, by Hoops Weiss.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7798506/Gillispie-going-through-hard-times-at-Kentucky

I'd like to understand what Weiss was saying, but the plethora of mistakes in the story had me distracted. He misspelled the name of Kentucky's point guard (it's Ramel, not Ramal). In an allusion to Kentucky's horse racing culture, he misspelled the name of the most iconic racetrack in the world (it's Churchill, not Churchhill). He misspelled "appreciate" (as far as I know, apprecate isn't a word, Hoops).

And his entire story is based on rumors that even Weiss himself calls "wild."

Do they have editors at FoxSports.com? Just wondering.

That said, I wouldn't be shocked if he left. Why should anyone be shocked? Contracts, or handshake agreements in Gillispie's case, don't mean much to coaches or athletic directors these days. But I think Gillispie knew the UK job would be tough. Look at its roster, for God's sake. It ain't pretty.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Moddy, sounds like you need to take some pills for that. Do you keep repositioning things on your desk when they seem to be straight to everyone else?

My guess on the reason for the disparity in results are the men and women blowing the whistles.

Also, when people are insinuating that you might have an ongoing Oedipus Complex (Hey, mother fu****!!!) it does tend to piss you off and at times make a bad situation worse.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

This Duke-Wake Forest game has been more entertaining than I thought it might be. Except Duke benefited from a BS intentional call that turned the game around lately. Imagine that, Duke getting calls.

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Wake 72, Duke 66 with 4:16 to go.

1 vs. 2 coming in Memphis???

10. WS

WS Member

One minute away from being over and the fifth Dookie has just fouled out.

That is what happens when referees correctly call Dook games.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Chapel Hill has been getting them for much longer than Duke.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not if Kansas takes care of business between now and then, because the Jayhawks would be No. 2 -- they're No. 3 in both polls now.

And Sam Mills, you might be right about the Tar Heels. But I'm jaded when it comes to Duke. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted