1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Basketball Thread 2018

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LanceyHoward, Oct 12, 2018.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The program would have to be open to the entire student body in order to make it legal under NCAA rules. But I suspect that as competitive and expensive as it is to get into Duke not many members of the Blue Devil student body other than jocks are commuting to the NC Central campus for classes. Virtually anyone accepted at Duke could get into NC Central and pay a lot less for said classes.

Which is not a slam at NC Central. The same could be said about virtually any college in North Carolina.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Of the one and done players, generally, they take the minimum number of credits possible, in the most remedial of classes so they can be eligible and play in the spring. After your first semester the only academic problem you can have is academic probation. You can fail all your classes your first semester freshman year and not be expelled and denied further registration. For spring, you can register, but the season is over before finals and you just withdraw. I doubt one and done players got to 10 real classes in the college career.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yeah, it’s basically an option for anyone who thinks they might struggle with a certain class. It’s not that much different than my brother being a student at Kansas who didn’t particularly excel in math. So he drove over to KC and took as many math classes as he could at Johnson County Community College. It’s just fun to tease Dukies about it.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

SEC. Football.

Not even close. But keep digging.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Point taken and well made. My only pushback is if you include the hypocrisy and holier-than-thou attitude of the ACC basketball coaches. The SEC Doesn’t present the facade of virginity, they just claim they aren’t sluts. The ACC not only presents a facade but a whole Potemkin Village.

6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'." /SEC off

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Gonna be interesting to see how high Buffalo advances in the poll if it wins at Syracuse and Marquette this week. If the Bulls lose twice, I suspect they fall out for good at the next opportunity. And what if they split?

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see where Penny has that program in two years, by which time the class he just signed will be gone. When not blessed with a plethora of talent in his backyard, what will Penny do? Unlike Duke or Kentucky, which recruit nationally, Memphis will never have the sort of brand that can reload annually.
    I trust Rick Barnes in this little dust-up. I seriously doubt anybody can taunt the opposing bench without at least two ESPN/Fox cameras catching every frame.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

And UB wins at Syracuse. Don't hold your breath for a return game. They lost to St. Bona last year; probably just stick with Colgate and Cornell at home from now on, as per usual.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted