1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Basketball Thread 2018

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LanceyHoward, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I kinda hope Williamson comes back, but refuses to wear the Nikes and put on a rival
    compsny’s shies just to see heads explode from Duke and the amateurism apologists.

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

I read this in Bill Walton's voice

poindexter likes this.
  3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

After all, he doesn't look at himself as a basketball coach; he looks at himself as a leader who happens to coach basketball.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

For the record, I whole-heartedly endorse Zion, all of UK and KU's starting five sitting out the rest of the season in order to protect their draft stock. Anyone from Michigan, Gonzaga and Virginia are welcome to do the same.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Conference of champions.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He’s a well paid actor is an unscripted reality show. The stern but respected coach who curses like a sailor and prays like nun.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Does Zion sue Nike?

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

At the very least, you'd have to think he strikes them from his list of potential business partners.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Product liability? He sues Duke. Duke is privity with Nike, not a player. Mike K determines what shoes a student athlete wears because the coach gets paid from a Nike.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I covered Gathers and I saw Bias' last game in the second round NCAA Tournament at the Long Beach Arena.
    Bias was probably a better talent. But he couldn't carry his team. They barely beat Pepperdine in the first round and would have lost if Dwayne Polee, the WCC player of the years, had a normal game. He was 4 for 13 from the floor and missed a bunch of layups. Maryland lost to UNLV in the second game.
    As was said above, Gathers was a 'tweener at 6-7. He was a small forward with power forward skills. But he ran the floor better than anybody and that would have made him an asset in the NBA. He was fearless in the paint. His midrange game was deadly from about 12 feet in, but any farther out he was horrible, especially free throws. That's why he tried to shoot them left-handed.
    In the memorable game against LSU, going against Shaq and Stanley Roberts, Gathers had 48 points and 13 rebounds. He was 20 of 35 from the floor and 8 of 11 from the line. Shaq went 20 and 24, Roberts 21 and 12. It was Chris Jackson who had the most enjoyable night with 34 points and 9 assists.

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

How did Duke do anything wrong? They took the shoes in good faith.

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

How much Coke was Bias doing during the tourney?

Draft saved Draft deleted