1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Basketball Thread 2018

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LanceyHoward, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Hey
    whataboutwhataboutwhataboutwhataboutwhatabout

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

When you say UVA "gave in" and let Tech into the ACC you imply that UVA at some point consented. I think saying UVA was "forced" to let Virginia Tech into the ACC by the governor is more accurate.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I really just wanted to get the Ryan Odom line off. The power rankings were a Trojan horse.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I would think that UVA athletic supporters would have learned humility from the travails of the football team.

Spoken as a part owner of the UVA Athletic Department. The sons have three degrees from UVA and as much as I paid for them I damn well own a part of that school.

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Never understood what the big hubbub is about regarding VT to the ACC. By what metrics is it unworthy?

6. Big Circus

It's not. It's an emotional reaction. UVA being in the ACC without VT was a competitive advantage for UVA. It sucks for us fans that it went away.

VT fits in perfectly well academically with the middle of the ACC. Geographically, it's a perfect fit. We just like to bitch.

Louisville was where Swofford truly threw away the conference's standards.

7. Big Circus

Fun fact: This was well before I was even born, but from what I understand, there was near-universal support among the UVA athletics administration for getting VT into the ACC to replace South Carolina in the 70s.

8. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

My thoughts, too. Just wondering where @tapintoamerica ’s visceral distain comes from. Even @BitterYoungMatador2 is nicer to VT than tap is. LUNCHPAILPRISONPUSSY

9. Big Circus

What the fuck! I bow to no one in regard to irrational VT hatred!

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

FSU is a good fit. They are obverse NC State. NC State was basketball rich and football poor, FSU is the opposite.

BC’s location is problematic, but they are Wake-esq

Tech is a great fit, academically. It would be nice if they could establish some strength in Lacrosse to make up for the loss of Maryland.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I don’t hate Tech. Hell, those are some great damn people. Drove Five hours there in 2002 for the Pitt-VT game that night. Bunch of Tech tailgaters saw a car with PA plates pull into the lot and came over and offered food and beer and some light trash talk. Helps that Wlat introduced Larry Fitzgerald to the world that night and Pitt won by seven in a game that was 28 degrees at kickoff.

I hate ESPN and it’s constant bullshit narrative surrounding Tech. It’s very reminiscent of the joepa/happy valley/Linebacker U/Tom Bradley/drunk Musberger foghorning “the liiiiion in autumn!” For so many Mighty Penn State teams that finished 8-3 and went to the Alamo Bowl.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Same

Draft saved Draft deleted