1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Basketball Thread 2018

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LanceyHoward, Oct 12, 2018.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone has started this.

I don't know understand what the crime the Adidas bag men executives are guilty of of but they are certainly providing detailed records of who they paid. Besides Louisville they implicate Kansas, Arizona and North Carolina State. their payroll. Do Bill Self and Sean Miller survive this? I don't see Kevin Keats, with only a year at NC State, surviving.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Keatts wasn't at NC State when this stuff was happening.

franticscribe likes this.
  3. Jake_Taylor

And Self is fine unless more stuff comes out. The Adidas bag man/ star witness went out of his way to say Self didn't know about payments while naming just about every other name he could think of.

I don't think it's just the homer in me, but Kansas played this smart. The compliance department has been coordinating with the Feds to help make the case the universities were defrauded. The government's case is that situations like Billy Preston -- school spent hundreds of thousands investigating his eligibility but kept getting lied to -- is part of the crime.

4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Kansas has a bit of a buffer because they already have a somewhat-self-imposed de facto death penalty on their football program.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Basketball? Where's our rings thread?

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'm assuming that Self told the Adidas guy "Don't tell me anything unless I ask for it.........and I'm never going to ask for it."

8. Jake_Taylor

Oh yeah, right now it looks like KU got extremely lucky.

1.) As the top Adidas program, it doesn't have to ask for anything. Stuff just gets done because it's good for Adidas for KU to keep up with Nike schools Duke, Carolina, etc.

2.) Billy Preston crashing his car was a huge break because KU was able to get out in front of this stuff.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'm still generally curious if KU decides that all the Adidas stuff is really bad PR, not going to sign the extension with them, then flip to Nike.......
    It would make sense.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Maybe Self dodges sanctions by asserting the Sgt. Schultz defense that he knows nothing but I would think the NCAA will have to put the Jayhawks on probation.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  11. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Underrated post.

FileNotFound and Hermes like this.
  12. Jake_Taylor

Not saying they are actually cleaner than anyone else, but what's come out at this point doesn't add up to probation. KU held Preston out when it looked like trouble and he never played a game there. The $2,500 for online classes will probably be punished, but that is usually a player three-game suspension and pay back the money to charity kind of deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted