1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College basketball coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Only people looking for reasons to bitch about LSU recruiting could be unhappy with what's happened this year.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Charlie was always a very quotable, fun coach to cover. 300 some wins in 25-plus years (although all in the MAC, which has been down in recent years).

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

What hurts Trent a little is they did well enough to build expectations, then sputtered out at the end (which they've done, to some extent, in all 4 of Trent's seasons, including the year he won the SEC).

They still have the SEC tourney and possibly (probably?) the NIT, but the back end of the season is leaving a bad taste. Kinda like football!

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

If Eustachy's ever going to leave Southern, it will be this year, because he's coached out his ass this season. I think he's real disappointed that the crowds weren't any better than they were with a fan-friendly team that clearly over-achieved. Also, the AD that hired him is gone, so he may feel this is the right time to leave. He'll be picky if he decides to leave, though. He's not desperate to get out, but if a Big 12 or Pac-12 job comes open he'll definitely give it a long look.

As for Andy Kennedy, he's coaching for his job this week. I think anything less than winning the SEC tournament isn't going to be enough, and I doubt seriously that's going to happen. Another NIT bid isn't going to cut it at Ole Miss.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Well who the fuck does Ole Miss think they are?

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A team that actually made a few NCAA appearances in recent years, despite playing in a dump that would shame an indoor flea market.

7. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I can see impatience with Kennedy, even at Ole Miss. It's not that they lose, it's that he seems to have a lot of strange roster turnover. Guys go pro prematurely, quit and transfer, get kicked off the team, etc., etc.

It's always something. It would be one thing if this was Ed Murphy and he had a lot of nice kids who played hard, but just don't matchup. But I can see where this stuff would get old.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Uncle Bruce gone from Champlagne.

Thus sayeth the wwl.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Shaka's 1.2 million from VCU is going to look like chump change when this is all done. He'll either get an upgrade there or twice that from Illinois.

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

He turned down $2 million/year from N.C. State. Illinois is probably a better situation, but he might be able to bide his time for another year or two and get an even better gig.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps. I'm still willing to bet he gets a significant bump in pay if he stays. Which is the problem for a place like VCU. At what point do you have to throw your hands up and say ENOUGH. We can't go any higher.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Or he could end up like Chris Lowery. Take the money and run.

Draft saved Draft deleted