1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College basketball coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Mar 5, 2012.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

2. Mahoney

Mahoney Member

From what I hear, Horn's staying. AD doesn't want to admit failure, or pick up the 2.4 million buyout. Will probably try to prop him up with a veteran assistant.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Horn probably isn't going anywhere, mainly because of the $2.4 million buyout.

Meanwhile, Randy Peele is gone at Winthrop. Won two Big South titles, but is mainly gone because he was compared to Gregg Marshall, whether or not the powers-to-be will admit it.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'd imagine at least one or two of these jobs in the Pac 12 and ACC have to open up given the horse shit from the middle to the bottom of those leagues. Right?

5. Not likely to see much movement in the ACC. Seven of the 12 coaches are in their first or second year. Bennett, who has taken Virginia to its most wins in nearly 30 years, is in his third year. The others are named Williams, Krzyzewski and Hamilton. That leaves Va. Tech's Seth Greenberg as the likeliest casualty, but given the great recruiting effort he had last year and the relative youth of his team, I don't see it happening there, either.

Now the Pac-12 is another story, but I'll leave that to my West Coast friends to detail.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Brown fires Jesse Agel.

As far as the Pac-12 goes, I'd think the only coach in trouble is Kevin O'Neil at USC. But Floyd left him a mess, so maybe he gets a pass. Sendek had a tough year at ASU, but he's probably safe.

And nobody cares about basketball at USC or ASU anyways.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I think lone star is pretty much right on. Greenberg is the only potential casualty. I think Jeff Bzdelik's seat could start to warm up next year, but everyone else has a few bad years in them before things get ugly.

K and Roy, obviously, are there until they retire. Hamilton has a pretty long leash as well.

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Who'd have thought Tim O'Shea at Bryant would now be the dean of Rhode Island's four D-1 coaches?

Danny Hurley's getting the most run at Kingston in the early going (I just don't see Bruiser Flint, even with his connection to the AD), but the most intriguing name is...Al Skinner. He's interested, and still remembered fondly here. It's just a matter of how much of the smear campaign BC put out there after his firing has stuck. I think the empty seats more than the record did Baron in, and Skinner would provide the jolt the program badly needs. He also recruited Preston Murphy, the hot young assistant the AD wants to keep around.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Greenberg signed a dynamite class in 2007 that included Malcolm Delaney, Jeff Allen and Dorenzo Hudson. All of them stayed four years and Seth's got exactly zero NCAA Tournament appearances to show for it. Most places, he'd be gone, but I'm not sure they care enough about basketball at Virginia Tech to fire him as long as he is reasonably competitive and continues to pull off the occasional upset of Duke or Carolina.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

They just need to win four in a row this weekend to get there with Dorenzo...

11. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Sendek signed a two-year contract extension with ASU in December. H's locled up through 2016, so I doubt he's in any danger this year.

In terms of the USC situation, things are so bad that everyone is treating the season as a fluky throwaway. With Nikola Vucevic leaving early, the team was already going to be into rebuilding mode. Then the wheels fell off:

- Starting PG Jio Fontan blew his knee out during an exhibition tour game in Brazil in August
    - Freshman center Dewayne Dedmon, who is very raw but is considered a potential NBA player by some scouts, tore knee ligaments in Jaunary. He had been limited at the start of the season after breaking his hand.
    - Junior forward Aaron Fuller had season-ending surgery on his shoulder the same day Dedmon hurt his knee. Fuller had been playing hurt all season since getting injured in a preseason game.
    - Sophomore forward Curtis Washington hurt his shoulder during the Brazil trip and had to have season-ending surgery
    - Sophomore forward Evan Smith reinjured the shoulder that forced him to miss last season during the preseason and only played four games before having to shut it down.

That's five players lost for the season on a team dealing with NCAA penalties from the Tim Floyd/OJ Mayo debacle. USC's been playing five scholarship players lately. They play very good defense but are absolutely wretched offensively, which isn't that shocking. I don't think Kevin O'Neill's lost the team - they still seem to play hard but a lot of guys are forced to play way over their heads and just don't have the offensive skills to be starting. Even with the Drinky McDrunkerson fiasco last season, I think O'Neill will get a mulligan for this season.

If there's anyone I would have pegged as being "in trouble" it's Johnny Dawkins at Stanford, but beating Cal to keep the Bears from winning the regular-season title might have bought him another season.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I thought they were one of the biggest surprises of the SEC this season, right behind Tennessee. Then again, that probably speaks to the state of the program more than anything. I did not expect a 7-9 league record.

Also, Andy Kennedy is woefully mediocre and should have been fired years ago, when he blew it with Chris Warren and Terrico White.

Draft saved Draft deleted