1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Basketball Coaching Carousel Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Who, Tom Pecora?

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This means virtually nothing, but Larranaga was unnaturally disliked by the students when he coached at Bowling Green and I was at Ball State.

I have no idea why. Never covered him, can't speak to his character.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

By which students -- BGUs or BSUs?

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The thought of Dan Dakich getting the permanent job . . . this Indiana fanboy will actually be relieved when the Hoosiers lose early. That will leave no doubt that Dakich is the latest nondescript coach on the Bob Knight coaching tree.

Yes, I do think you need more than one Coach K to make up for Dave Bliss. It makes perfect sense to go outside the family when the family is crap. Screw the segment of the fanbase that wants a Knight guy. Losing under a mediocre Knight guy won't mean a thing except more irrelevancy.

Maybe Tony Bennett or Sean Miller will actually return the phone call. Or Indiana will push itself back another decade by hiring Alford.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Would a guy like Scott Drew be a fit for IU?

6. Bubbler

Ball State's. I might have had something to do with Larranaga's son being on the team if memory serves.

7. Bubbler

Nope. I've heard from more than one coach that the Drew's (Homer and Scott) aren't as squeaky clean as their public images would suggest. It could be bullshit, but if there's a hint of dirt on a coach, IU shouldn't go anywhere near them.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

God ... can you imagine if Pearl goes to IU? It'd give the dickwad Illini fans a reason to get up in the morning for the next 10 years.

9. Armchair_QB

I've heard that too but the public image is so close to perfect that I wouldn't be surprised if his name came up.

10. KP

KP Active Member

You would be correct.

11. Bubbler

We can disagree on many things, OTR, including the relative shittiness of our cities, but we can unite about the white-hot dickwadishness of Illini fans.

I would almost like to see Pearl hired for that reason alone.

Enjoy Hillary!

12. Armchair_QB

I'd like to join your group. I was really hoping Pearl would wind up at Iowa after Alford left just to watch the mouth-breathing Slimeni fanboi reaction to it.

Having him at IU would be just as good.

Draft saved Draft deleted