1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College basketball coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Maybe John Groce had ties with Bad Bad Leroy Brown, from the south side of Chicago, the baddest part of town.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Why? His .354 NBA winning percentage? Or his zero years at any level of college coaching?

Stoney and tapintoamerica like this.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The longer the IU search goes without an announcement, the more I am inclined to believe Alford is the choice.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I did my undergraduate at Colorado and a graduate degree at Indiana. It was a culture shock to go from Boulder to Bloomington. Indiana is conservative, insular place.

I suspect that Alford, who is the son of a small town Indiana basketball coach, would feel more comfortable and prefer living in Bloomington rather than Los Angeles (it is not the choice I would make). Alford and his wife- who is from Indiana- are also at an age where they may like to be close to aging parents.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Mike Rhoades returns to VCU as head dude after a stint at Rice.

6. Ulysses S. Grant

Ulysses S. Grant New Member

I liken Bloomington to Austin, though. More liberal than the state it is in.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Virtually every college town is more liberal than the state it is in.

But Bloomington is Clintonesque centrist. It would not be on the cutting edge of issues such as marijuana legalization or gay marraige. Boulder is consciously trying to be Bernie Sanders counterculture.

On another note one of more historical heros is Grant. Have you read his autobiography or any of the number of excellent books out on him?

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The list of coaches who got out of Rice with a career intact can't be terribly long.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

He did a damn good job there. I think he can get VCU back up a notch to consistent Top 25 team that still gets shafted by its seeding.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

franticscribe likes this.
  12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No real coach is going to take that job knowing how poorly Underwood was paid and how unwilling they were to rectify that.

Draft saved Draft deleted