1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Basketball Beat Writer -- Binghamton, NY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TrooperBari, Sep 3, 2009.

1. awriter

awriter Active Member

Don't know much about the town or paper, but I can say that Al is one of the best sports editors I've had. I learned a ton from him when I was starting in this business.

2. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

What's it pay?

3. dm19

dm19 Member

I'd kind of like to apply and think I'd have a shot. But, I'm wondering if they're not already far into the interview process. Anyone have any info on this?

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Just send your stuff. The worst they can say is no.

5. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

Since the off-court stories with Binghamton were referenced in the initial posting...

http://www.pressconnects.com/article/20090923/SPORTS/90923025

6. I would have been shocked if they didn't send the writer to almost every league game. The furthest trip in the league from Binghamton is to the University of Maine, at just under nine hours. Everything else is under six hours.

7. JimmyOlson

JimmyOlson Member

Night Hawk, you're right - like I said earlier, I missed only three league games in my five years covering the team. One was due to a snow/ice storm, the other was due to the AHL All-Star Game in Binghamton one year. I made the drive to Orono four of five years - long, but not horrible.

They have not made any moves on the job yet, last I heard, so I'd say send your stuff. Worst thing they can say is no.

Not sure what they're offering in terms of pay. I was in the 30s from the start, for what it's worth.

8. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

What a disaster this program is. Hired writer is underpaid, yet not bored.

9. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

After what has happened in the past two days, I'd rather cover the Trailblazers in their darkest days.

10. awriter

awriter Active Member

Well, if you spelled them "Trailblazers" when you applied, that would have probably disqualified you right there. ;) I think the Binghamton program still has a long way to go before it can be compared to those Blazers teams.

11. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

What? You think that's BYU and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir going down at Binghampton? I'll be at Lake Tahoe Saturday. That's if I can find my way. Don't worry about my spelling. I wasn't submitting it for publication in your eyes because you're not my boss, comprende?

12. fast789

fast789 Guest

You mean Binghamton, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted