1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Basketball Beat Writer -- Binghamton, NY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TrooperBari, Sep 3, 2009.

1. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

Okay, that's funny.

2. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

I'm not sure that's possible, according the Gannett shareholders.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, but somebody's got to put out the paper. And Gannett tends to go overboard on a lot of things.

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

And Tahoe is a mere 15 minutes away.

You had to know that was coming.

5. awriter

awriter Active Member

Of course. I'm surprised it took that long.

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Is the first thread in history where a job's selling point is it is less than 90 minutes from Scranton? Isn't that the third seal of the apocalypse?

7. JimmyOlson

JimmyOlson Member

OK, here are some answers to questions posed on this thread:

- The gig's opening had nothing to do with Gannett's cuts. The job opened up because I decided to go to graduate school after five very good years at the paper.
    - I traveled to virtually every America East Conference road game in four years (I missed two due to odd schedule conflicts, one due to bad weather) and all postseason (the conference tournament, which this season is in Hartford) and to the NCAAs last season.
    - I also covered the Binghamton women's team and Olympic sports (which aren't bad). I did assorted high school coverage and other off-beat stuff as well.
    - They do take Binghamton hoops coverage seriously. You get space to write good stories. And there is a lot of on- and off-court stuff going on (like the ad said, three incidents last year alone). There's a lot of opportunity to get some good clips at this job.
    - The guys in the sports department are fantastic to work with. It's a good corner of the room to be in.
    - Yeah, it's Gannett. Yeah, there are downsides to the job, like any other job. I'm not going to rip on my old newsroom in public.
    - A word about Binghamton - it is what it is. It's not the trendiest, coolest place to live. But there are worse places to live. It's affordable and centrally located. Winters are cold and snowy. But summer and fall in Upstate New York are fantastic.

Again, if anyone has any other questions on this gig. feel free to PM me.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Well, it's good to see Gannett is hiring just the same. Thanks for checking in, Jimmy.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Jimmy, I'm glad you're moving up. Got a question. With the latest cutoff rumors circulating about The Big G, what are the chances of this gig being one of them?

10. JimmyOlson

JimmyOlson Member

Drip, I learned a long time ago never to speculate one way or the other about what The Big G will or won't do with jobs and layoffs.

I will say that the paper's executive editor is a huge basketball fan and a major supporter of the beat. How much will that matter? Who knows. But take it for what it's worth.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Is this job search likely to be a national one, or not really?

12. JimmyOlson

JimmyOlson Member

WriteThinking, I've got no inside info right now but also no reason to believe it's not a national search.

Draft saved Draft deleted