1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College baseball, the SEC and TV

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Active Member

Tennessee at Kentucky was snowed out Friday night. The teams scheduled a doubleheader for Saturday. They'd been scheduled to be the SEC-TV game of the week at 4 p.m. EDT, so they set the doubleheader to start at noon.

As the 4 p.m. time slot drew near, Tennessee led 9-2 after eight innings. One inning to go. The parties involved stopped that game and began Game 2 for television. Tennessee won 11-5.

Then, the teams played the ninth inning of Game 1. Tennessee won 12-2.

I don't know what to say.
  2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Mike Slive is God... that's all I read any more...
    A lesser commissioner would have had them play the first game in its entirity, realizing that shit happens in baseball...
  3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I didn't think college doubleheaders went nine innings each, but that sounds pretty dumb.

I'm sure the TV network could have had some filler for the half-hour or so between games. Hell, there's always a chance for a rain delay. What do they do in those instances?
  4. Freelance Hack

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The way I read the fellatio fest about him leaves me thinking more of Jesus Christ almighty....
  6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

How about "Go Vols. Nice sweep."
  7. Freelance Hack

He was absolutely horrid as commissioner of Conference Useless-A
  8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Okay, I'll bite.

What can the commissioner of C-USA do, anyway?
  9. Freelance Hack

C-USA went from being a reasonable conference made up of near-equals to an expansive, unmanageable mess of schools that really had no rhyme or reason. At one point, it stretched from New York City (Army) to Tampa (USF) to Houston to Milwaukee (Marquette) and everywhere within.
  10. Oz

Oz Active Member

JD, I'm not sure whether that's ever happened before. I know it shouldn't surprise me given TV, but I', still attempting to process that info here. Imagine being the beat reporter that day.
  11. John

John Well-Known Member

Covering the CAA baseball tournament one year, William & Mary and James Madison were in the final. The Tribe hadn't lost a game yet, so if they lost the final the teams would play again 30 minutes later. The first final game was broadcast live and Madison won, meaning the next game would decide the champion. TV didn't even stick around for it. Folks were packing up their gear as the second game was played.
  12. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

It's stupid regardless. But given that the parts of the country that got the game on FSN (most, if not all), missed 2 innings of the second game anyway because the Miami-GT game went to extra innings.

So they could have finished the game anyway and not lost a single minute of TV coverage for the original game.
Draft saved Draft deleted