1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Baseball Team Bus Crash

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

A bus carrying a baseball team from a small college in Ohio, Bluffton University, crashes -- six dead.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/02/bus.accident/index.html

Were on their way to Florida for a tournament. Sounds like the driver got in the wrong lane on the highway--an HOV off ramp, and at the top of the ramp crashed off it, back onto the highway. It's lucky no one underneath on I-75 was killed by the bus falling on them.

Most of the kids were probably asleep at the time it happened and then instantaneous horror. RIP to those lost and hope the other seriously injured can pull through.

2. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Very tragic. Bluffton's site is crashed this morning, I presume.

Having driven in Atlanta, I know how nuts it is. ... Although it couldn't have been too congested at that hour. Was the driver just confused?

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

That's what it sounds like: got into an off ramp lane, and didn't have enough time to stop or turn and fell back onto the highway.

4. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Terrible. Terrible. I didn't even know there was a Blufton. It sucks that I had to learn about it this way. I wish there were a way that schools could avoid the late-night drives that seem to lead to many of these accidents.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Bluffton, FWIW, is a Mennonite school.

If they'd been an Amish school, they'd have played that tournament in a cow pasture in Millersburg instead.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Depressing morning between this and the tornado down in Enterprise, Ala. where eight kids at the high school were killed by a falling wall.

7. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Yep. It's crashing - can't access it.

How sad. RIP to those lost and to their families. With 35 on that bus, it's a wonder more weren't killed.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong -- the video of the aftermath is small -- but it sure seems like there isn't much of a railing or protective wall on that off ramp.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If I'm reading this correctly, the bussie tried to swerve off of the ramp once he realized his mistake instead of staying on the ramp then turning around and getting back on the interstate?

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

In watching the morning news coverage of this, I'm noticing a lot of people saying that it's easy to not realize you're going off the interstate and onto the ramp. Perhaps I don't get it, but wouldn't you notice that you're going up? Maybe they should think about putting in rumble strips at the entrance to jar drivers into paying attention.

A_QB: I think what happened was the driver realized he wasn't on the interstate anymore when he was at the top of the ramp, by which point there's no room to brake. Tried to turn, but not enough room for that with a wide-radius vehicle like that, and a bus that big going that fast will go over the railing on the far side of the overpass with ease.

11. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

But how fast could a bus be going while on a ramp?

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Ugh. I hate waking up to terrible news like this.

Draft saved Draft deleted