1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Athletics- When Does the Bubble Burst?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LanceyHoward, May 4, 2019.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I see where Chris Beard- who was already making 2.8 million dollars a year- just got 28 million over the next six years. Chris Beard has done a tremendous job. But the money for his contracts is in large part from a lucrative cable television deal.

And these cable television deals are driven by a model where cable customers effectively pay for a channel as part of a cable package. Most cable customers have no interest in college sports, and are moving to streaming. So I don't think that the money is going to be there in the future and the economic models of college sports will collapse. In the case of Texas Tech is there there anyway they get the same television money in 2023 when the current deals end?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The P12 Commish is saying "streaming rights" will be the next big thing - I don't know if he understands that any extra money the conference brings in from that will be coming at the expense of tv/cable deals. Similar to the shortfall the P12 has experienced in attendance since their network began broadcasting all the games.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The things the Pac-12 commissioner doesn't understand could fill several books.

I Should Coco and playthrough like this.
  4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

ACC has been pimping the shit out of its new network debut in August. Problem is I’ve heard that they’re not even close to a deal with Comcast or any other major provider. I fear they’re about a decade late on this.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The whole model is going to fall into the ocean soon enough without massive intervention from the academic side or - and this is more likely - shoe companies just running the operation. Salaries you can cut. But all those buildings erected in the last 20 years have to be maintained.

In 30 years, Disney will probably run 10 percent of the schools in America too, if it wants to make good money. The American health care system is already bizarrely underwritten by the Catholic Church.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The problem is that you can't cut the highest salaries. The contracts -- witness Dabo's new deal -- continue unabated and into the long-term future. The biggest joke is long-term deals for offensive and defensive coordinators.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I remember to a conference call of McClatchy right after the bought the Knight Ridder papers and the CEO at the time, Gary Pruitt, explaining that news papers had been around since whenever and the publishing industry would transition to an electronic future. Every time I hear a conference commissioner talk about a prosperous streaming future I think of good old Gary and the newspaper industry.

8. DanOregon

It doesn't help that the conference has seen a net growth of 11 professional teams in their various markets (and that doesn't include MLS) in the last 30 years.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Go through and look at which franchises you're talking about and ask yourself if that seems like a legit excuse.

For God's sake, the PAC 12 network isn't on DirecTV. I think that's a bigger issue than the existence of the Arizona Coyotes.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Lost in all this is don’t underestimate the revenue-producing athletes wanting a bigger piece of the pie.

11. DanOregon

The Pac-12 fan base is the least rabid of all conference fan bases to begin with. Throw in almost a dozen new franchises and suddenly the college team isn't the hot ticket anymore. Stanford and ASU made their stadiums smaller (and still don't sell out). Throw in the schedule that doesn't lock down football game times until the week before - you have more pro teams, in more markets with a more transient population and a tougher media market to compete in. Getting on DirecTv is not going to solve the conference's problems.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I think the SEC -- if we take current SEC markets, i.e. all of Texas and Missouri -- has a net of 11 in that same span as well. (I'm also counting the Carolina Panthers but not the Carolina Hurricanes.)

Draft saved Draft deleted