1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College athletes and hazing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by painmd87, May 19, 2008.

1. painmd87

painmd87 New Member

Last week, my college paper ran this story on a possible hazing violation by our women's soccer team.

We're working on a follow for it. Does anyone have any information on past hazing incidents with college or pro teams? How about contact info for hazing law experts?

Thanks
    Peter

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm sure a search for "hazing" on various student newspaper Web sites will turn up something.

I can only vaguely remember stories about hazing incidents involving teams I followed several years ago. There's not enough solid info there to be a real lead.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It doesn't seem like a story, unless you call out the girls for saying that alcohol wasn't involved.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

That might be the most terrifying collection of hazing photos ever.

5. painmd87

painmd87 New Member

The follow will include a statement released from the school saying the Office of Student Conduct will prepare their own investigation. I'm trying to round it out with some incidents from other schools/pro teams.

I dug through UWire, but couldn't find anything on athletes and hazing.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I haven't heard anything in the college ranks lately. There was a story in Utah about three football players at East High School kicked out of school for hazing. Two of those were sexual in nature.

7. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Here's what my follow-up sider would be: how can athletes who are savvy enough to learn complicated offensive and defensive strategies, and intelligent enough to get into and stay eligible at college, also be stupid enough to keep posting evidence of their hazing on the internet?

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

If they're dumb enough to think that making freshmen wear women's underwear or sticking bats up their asses promotes team bonding, it doesn't surprise me that they also post the pictures online.

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Did you try a Google search for "college athletes hazing"? Because I did, and guess what I found in about five seconds:

http://tinyurl.com/3zrasz

That ought to at least get you started.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

There's some guy who has made stopping hazing his mission and he has a Web site where he's collected tons of such pictures. One set was from a university I covered, though it was a club and not a varsity team. One of the teams in his collection, field hockey from somewhere, got in a shitload of trouble.

11. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

I'm sure you can find some stuff on the University of Vermont men's hockey team.

12. CRM

CRM Member

I recall Northwestern getting into trouble, I think women's soccer, but not positive.

Draft saved Draft deleted