1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Alternatives

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 5, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Interesting article. This program isn't for everybody, but I think we're going to see a major transformation in college level education in the next generation.

Except for perhaps the most prestigious schools, and/or certain areas of study, I just don't see how the traditional bricks and mortar college experience will be able to justify the cost.

2. Can one get by on $1,600/month in NYC?

3. YankeeFan

Of course not. And, that's why this won't work for everyone.

But, for folks who already live in NYC, and can live at home it will work. And, it will work for folks who have money.

That's why it's an alternative for some to paying $44,000 a year for school.

And, it will be one alternative to the traditional college.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

yes yes, by all means explain to the peons why they don't really need to go to college.

That way they won't get mad while they're defunded and dismantled.

5. YankeeFan

Explain to me why they should spend the money it currently costs to get a college education?

Technology has lowered the delivery cost of all kinds of goods and services.

Why should the delivery cost of an education continue to climb if we can do it more cost effectively?

6. Not every college charges $30-40k per year in tuition. Some are less than $5,000 per year.

7. YankeeFan

Sure. The question of whether or not they are worth it remains.

Draft saved Draft deleted