1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bostonbred, Aug 28, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Wear sunscreen. Trust me. </old commencement speech>

2. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

If you skip class, do the readings.

Don't take your time for granted, the real world is waiting for you and it's nowhere near as fun as college.

Enjoy sporting events, free concerts and anything else that your college has to offer.

Join some clubs, make some friends, don't feel obligated to join a fraternity.

Don't drink and drive.

Don't get wifed up with a girl in the first year, you'll close so many doors with your boys and with other potential girls.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Work part-time while in school. Try to get a campus job with professors or departments you're interested in; the experience and connections will pay dividends.

Get a Sam's Club card. It will pay for itself in the first trip. Great for stocking up on sodas and snacks so you don't have to pay vending prices all over campus.

Cheap bike. Expensive lock.

4. Scouter

Scouter Member

Don't buy textbooks. Not even online. You won't need them.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Even math books.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Something I wish I had known when I was in college: the easiest way to get some is to ask for some.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Text books?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you go to parties where guys get drunk and start fights -- plan ahead.

Bring a six pack and give it to the biggest, meanest guy there early on.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Now this is good advice.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hey, if the classes are small enough, they might require it (by failing you if you miss a certain number of classes).

Either way, all joking aside, that is excellent advice. Just showing up is way too easy of a way to improve your grades to pass up. Besides, you're paying to be there.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Some other advice, besides the free food one I offered earlier:

1. Talk to your professors. Unlike some in HS, they are actually human. You might even enjoy chatting with some of them.

2. At some point in your freshman year, take a few minutes to yourself while you are out doing something (even walking to class), and look around and absorb the experience of being a college student, and congratulate yourself.

3. When referring to the sororiety Sigma Delta Tau, never mix up the last two initials.

4. Find a club that you will absolutely enjoy that requires little to no work (unlike, say, student newspapers where you still have to write). For me, it was having a campus radio show. The best thing about it was when I met people from these really fancy colleges who were pretty boastful. My response was, "Oh yeah, well I have a radio show." Quieted them down pretty quick.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Avoid those Phi Mu girls.

Draft saved Draft deleted