1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

collection agency harassment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Jan 18, 2008.

1. I hate these fucks...it's my life mission to expose debt collectors as the un-American slime that they are. They are worthless low-lives. I've been around many and they are the type of people who tell there child they can have a piece of candy in the store, then get pissed and slap the child silly when the child can't make up there mind...worthless humans.

2. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I'm getting hassled by collection agencies for someone else's debt. I recently changed my cell number, and apparently the clown that had this number before I did owed quite a bit of money to various entities. More frustrating than them using up my minutes is that no matter how many times I tell them that I'm not the guy they're looking for, they continue to call back.
    Vent over.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What's un-American about hounding someone for money?

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Colbert: Call your cell company and they can block the number. That doesn't help if they try to call from another number, but it might just work.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Tell them you're eating the dog with the Ramen noodles.

6. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I wish I could. I don't know the number. It always comes up as "restricted" on my caller ID.

7. If you are stupid enough to allow someone to get a service without paying for it, then the American thing to do is to allow the process to play out in the judiciary. The low-life thing to do, is hound someone for it.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sad fact: Low-lifes come cheaper than lawyers.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

That sucks, Colbert.

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Maybe the low life thing to do is to not pay your debt.

Irish, why aren't you trying to pay them, to set up a payment plan or something? (not trying to get on your case, but I think it's a valid question about your situation)

11. This is the exact kind of fear that collectors want you to have. First, is the debt valid? I respect anyone who purchases a service or good and wishes to pay at the terms agreed, however, things change over the term of any agreement and it may be more advantageous to have the debt written off, especially if the finance charge is outrageous...which most are.

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Thanks to all; I feel much better about this situation. Shouldn't be a big problem to set up a payment plan and have them STFU. Particular thanks to Ragu for passing along some earnest advice despite all the acrimony between us on back on the Wal Mart thread. That was classy and I don't mind pointing that out to the board.

Pilot, I was paying the hospital. The hospital sold the debt to the agency for whatever reason...I guess I wasn't paying fast enough to suit them. FWIW, the hospital has a horrible reputation- aside from their bloated executive pay, which is perfectly legal, of course, they've done some things that aren't legal, like misrepresent services provided on government forms so they get more government money. I'm not surprised they sell past-due accounts to the most thuggish collection agency in town.

Draft saved Draft deleted