1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Collecting Jerseys

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Eagles1 in London, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Am i the only dork probably too old to still be into this? The other day, i got an 80s era road Oilers Gretsky jersey and i love it. Every year i try to pick up a new one. Last year, i picked up a Roenick road Blackhawks jersey and i wear it pretty much everytime i'm on the couch watching hockey....

next year (because my wife will punch me if i buy them on a regular basis), i'm going for an old Nordiques blue (though would be sweet to find a Whalers jersey too)....

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

As long as you're only collecting old-school jerseys, it's cool. I think a 40-year-old guy (I'm generalizing here) wearing, say, a Chad Johnson Jersey is kind of weird.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Have an old Atlanta Flames jersey if you're interested. Road colours.

4. i'm not quite 40 (but getting there...) but yes, the only jerseys i have are old hockey throwbacks, and they never leave the house. Strictly for couch potato days....who knows, maybe my son will get a kick out of them one day...

5. patchs

patchs Active Member

When I was in college, I used to go to the Champion factory outlet store and buy HS football jerseys.
    Have no clue where they're from, they looked cool.

6. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I guess you don't want to hear that I have the blue Nordiques jersey. ;D ;D ;D

Funny note, my publishing boss can be found at a press conference, because he always wears his Nordiques jersey to them. I guess he wants to be the centre of attention.

Worst part, it doesn't flatter his body...

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A few years back I went into the retro-jersey shop in Atlanta, I forget the name but it was mentioned in a bunch of stories written at that time about the jersey craze. Probably wouldn't feel the same way now since the retros are everywhere, but back then I was truly a kid in a candy store in that shop. Would have spent all day there if I didn't have my wife in tow, who could not have cared less.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

OK, two rules to follow:

1. Never wear a jersey that bears the name and number of a player who is younger than you are.

2. Make it visually appropriate. Hate to see a 300-pound guy crammed into an Ozzie Smith jersey. If you're XXXL, stick to linemen.

9. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I believe that store in Atlanta is Distant Replays.

I have a few old jereseys, so you guys definitely aren't the only dorks. (Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Jackie Robinson, Roberto Clemente & Mookie Wilson.)

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I would so love to get a late 1970s Toronto Maple Leafs road white jersey of Darryl Sittler, Borje Salming or Mike Palmateer, but i just can't pull the trigger on 150 bucks...

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

If I could get a jersey worn by Eddy Merckx in the Tour, I'd frame that sucker as fast as I could get it.

But I'm, on a personal level, opposed to collecting or wearing anything with a sports team logo that isn't paying me to wear it.

12. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

Unfortunately, you're probably not going to find that Whaler jersey. The state of Connecticut owns the rights to their logos, colors, et cetera and for some reason, doesn't sell any apparel. It would sell like crazy.

A dude on another message board made I frequent made one himself. You just have to find the crest on eBay and the template at hockey pro shops or eBay. It's probably not worth it, though.

Anybody remember when Value City had actual replica jerseys for $20? I picked up an old Ottawa Sens jersey there like seven years ago and still wear it to this day. Occasionally I go to VC hoping to find something.

Draft saved Draft deleted