1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Collecting-decorating advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 1, 2019.

1. I’ve found my new collectable niche. I’ve started seeking and collecting originals of famous magazines and newspaper articles:
    Today my Dec 6, 1971 issue of SI came in the mail.
    I’m debating-seeking opinions - on whether I should keep it intact, or cut out the pages I want and frame them for my office?

I don’t know I would resell this stuff and I want display it, just not sure about taking the pages I want out of the magazine and throwing it away. ....

Although, the ad for brunch vodka, a couple sitting on a bed in their pjs drinking a.m. vodka ....

Thoughts?

Also, Still looking for the Oct. 18, 1924 copy of the New York Herald Tribune and a July 14, 1929 copy of the Nee York Sun.

2. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

1924....four horsemen?

As for your other question, I say cut

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I’d rather collect high quality photos of said pages, professionally print them up, frame and display the photos.

That way you have the best of both worlds. And conversation pieces. With the issues intact.

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Display quality prints from high-resolution scans. One of the byproducts of working in and around print journalism is that you probably already know someone who knows the technical ins and outs of reproducing a magazine page. That way you could let them handle the color correction and descreening ( if necessary) and they would know the resolution that would produce a print that would look the best.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I read the thread title as colorectal advice.

Carry on.

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Like others have said, scan the pages you want to display, or have them scanned. Maybe get your local frame shop to do a cool display with the original magazine and the scans, or do a little research online and handle it yourself.

7. Never considered scanning the pages.
    Glad I brought this up.

Im not getting any younger. Im open to advice

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I read the thread title as collecting-decorating device. You mean like a Roomba?

Draft saved Draft deleted