1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colin Kaepernick, Tatted Up Freak

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CarlSpackler, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think Amy Poehler is much hotter now. And I'm closer to 27 than 41.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

She must be on him every day to stay in shape.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

This thread is all over the place, so on a related note to the latest tangent, I recently started watching 30 Rock reruns and Tina Fey is fucking hilarious. Alec Baldwin, psycho that he is, is the perfect comedic foil. This threadjack message brought to you by five years ago. Carry on.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Or he must be on her every day to stay in shape.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

While there will be tons of people 20-30 years from now who will be 50-60 and wonder what the hell they were thinking back in the day, it is laughably out of touch for Whitley to say only inmates and their ilk wear tats. But in reality, those percentages of tattoo-bearing that TSP cited will never come close to being reached among lawyers, CEOs, doctors and politicians. Of course, that doesn't mean these people can't be dysfunctional as hell sans tats, but still, in a competitive world, more thought should probably be put into that flower that can partly be seen in an unbuttoned blouse or that dagger with drops of blood on the forearm. Is what it signifies, or, let's be honest about many if not most cases, the expression of the id, worth it in the long run? Of course there are exceptions, but still..

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Tattoed people were born that way, you intolerant bastard.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

8. I was writing it off as a "new generation confuses old generation" column, until he positioned Jerry Richardson as some sort of hero:

This whole exchange feels like it's straight out of the 1950s.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The guy who ran Denny's when it was at its most racist is stuck in the old days? Go figure.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'd never get a tattoo. I don't feel strongly enough about anything to get a bumper sticker, let alone get it stenciled on my arm.

But I honestly don't care if other people want to paint themselves up like a New York City subway car in the 1970s. Go for it, Queequeg.

However, I think we can all agree that if you get a tattoo anywhere that can't be covered up with a long-sleeve shirt and long pants, you're limiting your job prospects.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

'Tattoos are for sailors.'

- everyone everywhere, 1940

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think there's a cycle. Tattoos rub close-minded people the wrong way. Smart people know others are close-minded and plan ahead for that. So even someone without objections to tattoos would devalue the intelligence of someone who had one that could not be covered up normally. So your job prospects are limited not because you have a tattoo but because you didn't plan for close-minded people in a world full of them, which would make anyone question taking you seriously.

So we let close-minded assholes define societal values.

Draft saved Draft deleted