1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Colin Cowherd, Ugly American

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm trapped in somewhere with him on the radio. God, help me.

A small sampling:

On Victoria Beckham: "She's 5-4 and 80 pounds. Perfect for me."

On general politics: "Screw poverty and global warming, finding hot couples should be the world's No. 1 priority."

Does anyone else get the sense he's a deeply depressed man?

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It was probably some sort of "comedy". Done badly, of course.

It's an ESPN property.

You really weren't expecting "Morning Becomes Eclectic" on public radio, were you?

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

THAT was funny.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Ha. Hardly.

I'm not sure it was comedy, though. To listen to it, the guy either wants to come off like a professional sleazeball, or is one.

Again, I don't listen often. Every time I am subjected to it...Lordy.

5. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I caught a few minutes of Cowherd a couple of weeks ago in which he explained that because American football was so complicated (as opposed to soccer, which is so simple to understand), it was the greatest sport in the world. By the same logic, the U.S. tax code would be the greatest piece of legislation in world history.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Speaking of public radio, I recently started listening to "This American Life" and liked it so much that I downloaded a lot of the previous shows on iTunes for free. What an incredible radio show. I bought Season 1 of its television incarnation, and it is very good too. The only problem is that you get to see what a doofus Ira Glass is instead of just hearing his voice.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't think he's smart enough to be depressed over his sad life.

Last time I listened to him, he was going on and on about "what women want out of a husband/boyfriend." The very next day it was announced his wife had filed for divorce.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

American football is not complicated. It has been called complicated by some people who want you to believe it is so you'll be impressed by their authority on the subject, but it is not complicated.

9. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

"This American Life" and "Car Talk" are very entertaining radio, unlike the subject of this thread.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

True. Urban Meyer is hailed as a "genius" because he took a team full of great athletes and spread the field to exploit 1-on-1 matchups.

11. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Back to the subject at hand, Cowherd is indeed a loathsome individual. And he might just be dumber than he is hateful.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I've listened here and there today. If I'm understanding this correctly, then I have to give him credit: on ESPN.com, Buster Olney is taking credit for reporting that the Yankees are willing to negotiate with A-Rod during the season. Cowherd credited a guy from si.com.

And he actually did a hockey interview today.

Draft saved Draft deleted