1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coleco baseball, or other crazy stuff of yours at your parents' house

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bob Cook, Mar 17, 2009.

1. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

There's still an extensive set of Star Wars figures and a half-season of "Goal" Magazine somewhere in my parents' garage.

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Somewhere in my parents' house is Bas-Ket. And I found NFL Strategy the last time I was home.

I have all of my Strat-O-Matic cards. Best game ever.

3. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

[​IMG]

Used to play this SI game and others like it (i.e., the Olympic Decathlon one) endlessly, but apparently not many others did.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That Sports Illustrated baseball game was the bomb. I got it for Xmas in 1975. It was the 1971 teams. Stargell was a monster.

5. Dignan

Dignan Guest

When I was 10 or 11, I was the best player in the world in Intellivision baseball.

[​IMG]

And my grandparents had this game at their house. Me and my brothers/cousins would play it from time to time, though you could lose a fingernail if you hit that metal spinner just right.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

All-Star Baseball was later found to be just as accurate as more complex baseball simulation games.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That spinner game is the other one I was looking for, dignan. Couldn't find a pic of it online last night.

Damn, haven't seen that one in years. That was a lot of fun.

8. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

Ahh, many Sega controllers were thrown and too many game were switched off on each other when my brother and I battled at this classic.
    I can still here Pat Summerall's voice ...

"They're going for it ..... I CAN'T BELEIVE IT!" (Even though we always went for it on 4th)
    or
    "It's beginning to rain."
    or
    "HE'S SACKED!"

[​IMG]

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Ha, played this game a lot when I was a kid.

To add to the Summerall-isms: Picked off, what a mistake!

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

My mom's a pack rat so everything's in their basement. I'll go digging everytime I'm home. There's about 15 boxes of my books, my dad's got every SI since 1972, and they got the sporting news for about 11 years and have all of those from the 1980s (it's fun to check out that Pirates-Phils boxscore from 1986). And my dad every year still buys a "Who's Who in Baseball" and that collection goes back to about 1956. As for kids's stuff, these are a few of the things still residing in what my dad simply calls the junk room:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Worst game ever, there's no way anyone ever figured the vibrating players out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to be a major league pitcher!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

My Atari 2600 still works. I'll take the nostalgia every time -- was up late playing Missile Command, Yars' Revenge and Enduro, among others, a while back.

Christmas 1979. Still works:

[​IMG]

If you have this stuff laying around at your house or your parents, DO NOT GET RID OF IT. You'll wish you had them later. How I wished I'd saved more things.

I thought I'd kept a big bag of Matchbox cars, knowing how cool it would be for my boys to play with the exact same ones I did. But I could never find it at my folks' house.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh man. You have no idea how perfectly appropriate this topic is this week.

God, I loved Intellivision, even though it was so very, very awkward. Those damn leaflets and those keypads were so bulky and user unfriendly. The graphics were so awesome for the early 1980s, even if Atari had all the rights to all the great games. Of course, Pac-Man was such an abortion on Atari, you really weren't missing much having to play Lock N Chase instead.

Speaking of Pac-Man:

I remember getting this for Christmas one year and being unspeakably excited Christmas Eve as I wondered which of the arcade games I'd get. I was in the car with my mom and saying "Did you get me Pac-Man? I love Pac-Man. Did you get me Frogger? I love that game too. Did you get me Ms. Pac-Man? I like that a lot now too. I'd be happy with any of them, really."

I remember the joystick wasn't nearly as easy to navigate and the blinking dots not nearly as bright and distinctive on the arcade version, but for what it was it was pretty good.

This is absolutely, positively my favorite thing EVER. My dad got this game shortly after it came out and we'd play the two-player game. Goddamn, that was fun. I played it more often alone and would waste afternoons upon afternoons curled up in my dad's recliner with the game. I loved kicking 64-yard field goals...and missing 18-yarders. Click...click...click...then either the dreaded three whistles or the triumphant horns. and the long pass plays...darting and dashing and wondering how close you are to the end zone.

I've got the original game somewhere in my basement and for the longest time IT WAS STILL WORKING on a battery from like 1978. Then I got the re-issue and I swear I loved it as much as I did back then. It's still challenging and fun to play. Not like one of those games, as someone noted, where you play it once and you're like "Shit, why did I ever care about this?"

Draft saved Draft deleted