1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cold War II

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CR19, Jun 28, 2010.

1. CR19

CR19 Member

Apparently, we're back in a Cold War situation with Russia. The United States arrested 10 people on charges of being spies for the Russian government. Here's an article on everything.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/29/world/europe/29spy.html

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Doesn't surprise me in the least that Russian spies have been over here, but that was an entertaining read--spies posing as suburban soccer moms, invisible ink messages, secret bag exchanges--cloak and dagger elements taking right out of a juicy spy novel. Sorta thought spying in the cyber age might've moved away from those tactics.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Amazing this came out the same week that Medvedev is being celebrated here on the left coast with Zuckerberg of Facebook and the other Silicon Valley titans.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So this means that Simmons will have plenty of more material for Rocky 12, when Rocky beats a Russian Robot.

6. CR19

CR19 Member

No. He'll have to fight Vladimir Putin in karate.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I guess we can count on boarding passes with the dreaded "SSSS" on them the next time we fly somewhere.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/06/30/russian.spying.arrests/index.html

Apparently they let the spy they caught in Cyprus out on bond, and *gasp!* he vanished.

Why on earth you'd let a friggen spy already traveling on one set of fake papers out on bond is beyond me, but to do it without someone, or a team of someones, glued to his ass every second of every day? Wow.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The winner gets Robert Kraft's Super Bowl ring.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I'm good with a little old fashion cloak and dagger. It keeps the world interesting.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

What I'd like to know is how is what supersecret information the frumpy married blonde (her husband was popped, too) they arrested in Cambridge acquired during her covert operations as a realtor selling condos in Somerville? If I was a Russian taxpayer, this story would piss me off.

12. highlander

highlander Member

WTF? President Obama was upset about the timing of the arrests? Would he have rather let them get away if they thought they might be compromised. If there is one country the USA shouldn't trust it is good old Mother Russia.

Draft saved Draft deleted