1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cold sending

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by formulacola, Apr 2, 2007.

1. formulacola

formulacola Member

I've heard different takes on whether to cold send packages to places without openings. Should I cold send packages to places I'd like to work, or does that not really work?

2. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I've done it before, but I don't think it proves a whole lot. A lot of places don't keep that stuff on file. I've asked at certain papers, and they say they throw out cold sends because they don't have the space to store them all.
    Your best bet might be to call or e-mail some of the places to see if they're hiring. It's a good way of finding out what they do with cold sends. (i.e. I don't know if you're hiring right now, but I would like a job at your paper. Would you be interested in seeing my resume and some of my work?)

3. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Member

From my experience, I'd say it's worth it. Usually does not pan out, but if you send out 10, there's a pretty good chance you'll at least get a response or two. For those who respond and look at your stuff, they'll at least be familiar with you when they do have an opening.

4. incognito

incognito Guest

I got my current job by cold sending the place my application. Just so happened they had a person who was just about to leave, and long story short, I ended up taking his place. Job was never advertised anywhere.

Of course, I absolutely hate it here now, so what does that really prove?

I think it depends on where you're sending stuff to. A smaller paper with high turnover (like my place) keeps stuff on file because we've got regular openings. A larger, more presitigious paper may not, because they don't have openings as often and they always just seem to have a surplus of qualified applicants anyway without having to worry about people who randomly send stuff in out of the blue.

Couldn't hurt to try though, if you're thinking of doing it. You'll only be out your time, plus a few bucks per package shipping. But it could land you a job, and if it does, that's a good investment.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It can't hurt. Smart editors always have folks in mind for spots in case someone leaves. Yours may cross the desk at just the right time.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I've had an editor tell me that they always check the resumes they have on file before deciding whether to advertise. So there you go.

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

yeah i can't imagine a hiring editor sayind "he had the audacity to send in his clips unsolicited. there's NO WAY we're hiring him now." worst case, it goes straight in the trash. best case, like ingognito posted above, you get the gig.

8. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Absolutely. They'll have openings eventually (one hopes). And when they do, unless they're small they probably won't advertise. They'll call a few people who knocked on their door with good stuff. Sure, nine times out of 10 it doesn't get you very far, but it's how I've gotten my last two jobs.
    Just make sure that you get in touch after you send it in. Try to get in for a quick visit or something so than can put a face with a name and know you're serious.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's how I got my first newspaper job. After finishing a two-year project I was jobless and moved south to follow my girlfriend-eventual-wife. I took a media directory from a library, looked up every paper within a two-hour radius and fired away. I followed up with phone calls, those who didn't have openings were gracious and said they'd keep my stuff (maybe lying, but at least they were nice). But one paper had an opening coming up, and I ended up getting it.

10. BRoth

BRoth Member

In a bit of a side note, how long do you usually wait until following up (or not) with a place you've sent your resume?

11. Do you live in the same area as the paper? That will definitely make a difference. But even if you don't, never hurts to try.

12. formulacola

formulacola Member

Thanks for the replies.

I don't live in the area now, but I'm looking to get back to a certain region after some time away.

Draft saved Draft deleted