1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cold-send resumes to big papers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Thanks for comin' out, Aug 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

look out, chief. you're backtracking so hard you might get whiplash.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My first paper did background checks for criminal and driving record. I haven't had one since -- three papers, two different states -- though.

3. Death

Death Member

There's a big difference between asking for advice and seeking vindication. Whether you make $18,000 or $80,000 per year, what we do used to have value. While "enterprising" persons are certainly encouraged to better his/her own situation, they shouldn't be short-sighted.

Lots of big papers nowadays are MORE than willing to start journalists with experience from smaller or mid-size dailies out in the low-to-mid 30s. That is criminal. Fucking criminal.

Didn't used to be the case. We seem to be inching closer and closer to shit like BleacherReport.com, where we should be thankful that we get to cover sport. Fuck that approach and the crap wages that come with it. Fanbois can fill that void.

I have no idea what you make or where you work, but offering yourself as young and cheap comes at a price: You de-value what we all do as a group.

And your health benefits aren't minor expenses for a company at all, so as a hiring boss, let's say I do pick you up cheap, keep you for a year or two. Since you were so willing to command a low salary, in my mind, you must not be worth paying: So time to lay you off and find the next willing participant.

Never sell yourself short in negotiations. Especially not now. It hurts you and the rest of us as well.

Because, 2 years from now, if you move on from that job, you'll be in a worse negotiating position than when you took it.

If you are good enough to work for a bigger paper, make them pay you for it -- it's a promotion, remember?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I figure TFCO isn't married, since a good wife would smack her husband upside the head for suggesting that he can uproot the family on the cheap.

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Dude, you're being an asshole right now. No need for some of the stuff you've posted. I appreciate that you're young and looking for some guidance - hell I'm young and the good stuff some of the vets post on the Journalism board is one of the many reasons I love this board. But how do you expect to be taken seriously and get good, solid advice if you act like this?

6. I'll step up my attitude to this. I'm sorry.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

well why don't ya just try to stick another knife in the industry and come to a sports journalists' web site and brag about it, eh jimmy? did you really think you were going to make friends?

8. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

9. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

Well-said by Joe W.

10. Well, we really are in trouble, then, huh? Calling myself young and cheap is now bragging?

And I'll have plenty of knife-like items to choose from after "the guys on your staff shank me in my sleep."

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so now you need a hug, nancy?

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Unless you're a hooker, being young and cheap isn't a good thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.