1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cold-send resumes to big papers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Thanks for comin' out, Aug 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

embracing what's happening to this business seems very scab-like to me. if that comes off as being bitter, so be it.

2. JLaff

JLaff Guest

I don't really think it's "scab-like" behavior, in my opinion. He has an accurate grasp of the industry's situation, and using his strengths (being young and cheap) to his advantage. Can't fault a guy for wanting to move up.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and i'm not trying to argue, honest, but let me pose this question: so what happens to the guy when he's no longer young and wants to support a family?

he's not only hosing experienced folks, but he's hosing himself in the process and doesn't even know it.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Petty is right. Marketing yourself as ambitious and talented is one thing. Marketing yourself as a cheaper alternative undercuts everyone, including yourself.

5. JLaff

JLaff Guest

(Also not trying to argue) Good point, Tom. And maybe it's because I see things more from his POV than yours, but I don't think that writers at Thanks' level are trying to make an entire career out of being young and cheap, just trying to get his foot into a bigger door.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm with you, Tom. If it's scab behavior to look out for yourselve in the work place while your union brethern fight the fights and earn the concessions, it seems awfully similar to undercut veteran colleagues wherever by offering yourself more cheaply and more pliable.

At that point, you deserve what you get, like the woman who starts out as the mistress and then becomes the wife. From the "I do's" on, she'll be wondering who takes her spot as mistress. Or, in this case, as the eager, pliable and cheap replacement next time around.

7. OK, so I'm at fault for seeing the writing on the wall? Then let me ask this: If you, Tom or Joe, could see our current situation coming 10-15 years ago, would you have done anything different? I'm betting you probably would.
    You may have taken one job over another somewhere along the line, even if it was 'scab-like.' (And I only even give that word merit in this situation for the sake of being concise, not because I agree with it one iota.)
    So now all our cards are on the table, print is going down the toilet. I'm not lying, cheating or stealing, but to act as if I should lie down, shut the fuck up, sit in the same job for god-knows-how-long out of some sort of 'respect,' for writers at bigger papers that I don't know, well, then, call me whatever you want, but that's ridiculous.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Don't mean to hone in on you, Thanks. I'm just drawing the parallels between what some pro-union folks on this board feel about people who put their personal situations ahead of the group. Just wondering, rhetorically perhaps, how doing it at one shop is any different from doing it across the industry.

Management that believes it is holding labor by the short 'n' curlies reacts the same, whether the union's strength erodes from so-called scabs who cross picket lines or from knowing there is a ready supply of workers willing to sell themselves more cheaply than the current ones.

I'm just curious what the difference is. To me, your stance veers close to -- and maybe crosses -- the line that most reasonable people accept: You don't lobby for a job that currently belongs to someone else. Even cutthroat coaches of sports teams generally respect that one.

You might see this as simply advertising your availability for when, some day, that opening occurs. There is nothing wrong or frankly new about that; people have done it -- hell, I've done it -- for years. But in this buyout/layoff climate, it might feel to those getting shoved out that someone has climbed up their backs to get the position, mostly for their willingness to work cheap. (Whenever places get around to hiring again, that is.)

People used to be able to marry, buy houses, raise families, send kids to college and retire on their income from newspaper jobs. Enabling panicked managers to simply drive, drive, drive down the price of all of us won't do any of us much good. Including you, Thanks, when you're the one trying to buy the house, raise the family, etc.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks - you pretty much said "i'm only lootin' the place ... just like everyone else. it'd be ridiculous not to do so."

nice outlook kid. attitudes such as that come back to bite you in the ass.

10. After some thought, I'll just sit right here for the next 60 years and not try to improve my career because I don't want to offend anybody. Sorry.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's all for the best. Really.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Are you trying to get "big boy" clips on your own dime as well?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.