1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cold-send resumes to big papers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Thanks for comin' out, Aug 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Should I cold-send resumes to 'dream papers/Web sites/etc.' (you get the point) just to be in those stacks?
    I'm at a mid-sized daily now, I'm pleased with the job and the job security is strong (I know, I should just be happy where I'm at... trust me, I am). But I feel like the current state of the industry can only decrease the chances of big papers actually advertising a job nationally. And even if they did, the competition for these jobs is only going to increase due to layoffs, etc.
    I'm young and cheap (cue the whore jokes) with some decent experience, so I don't want to just sit on my hands when this could be a decent opportunity to move up in our world of "do more with less."
    Of course I don't want word to somehow work back to my shop that I would be doing this .. it would look like I was actively looking for another job when I really wasn't.
    Any suggestions on the best way to do this?

2. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Absolutely. If you don't have an in, that's the best way to get one. But don't just "cold send" and wait.
    Send a resume. Follow up with an e-mail. Try to wangle a visit some time when you're in town, for an "informational interview" or whatever. And try not to let the "we're not hiring" talk interfere. If it's a place you really want to work, be persistent about getting on their radar screen, and then stay in touch. The best places have a stable of people they keep an eye on for when they are hiring. You want to be one of those people. And be patient. Sometimes it takes years, especially with hiring as tight as it is these days.
    And don't worry too much about word getting back to your current shop. Most people, in my experience anyway, know enough to be discreet about this stuff.

3. Thanks, that helps. Yea, I didn't want to get myself taken OFF any lists by badgering or anything, but if sending, following up and letting them know you're interested is commonplace, well, that's good to know.

4. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

I'd offer this ... visit places you want to work on your own, if you can. Helped me greatly. Puts a face on the resume.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, have fun with that do more with less you seem to wrap your arms around.
    people such as yourself are the enablers to corporate whores.

jesus christ. i wanna puke.

6. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Why is that, Tom? Because he wants to get a better job and recognizes he may be better off trying for one at 25 (or whatever age he is) than he will be at 35? Because he doesn't want to wind up old and bitter and stuck?
    Yeah, this business sucks for the 35-year-olds who want to move up, but that's not Coming Out's fault. Guy's just trying to better his situation. And the corporate whores will always find someone young and cheap, if that's what they're after. They don't need him to be an "enabler."

7. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

I think you're much, much better off trying to establish a relationship with sports editors at 2-3 places where you'd really like to work. Find out if anyone you know knows the editor, ask for an introduction, ask if he or she would have time to look at your clips and offer feedback, etc.

99 percent of cold-sent clips/resume go right in the circular file. A more targeted, thoughtful approach will save you some money and likely be more successful.

8. It's not about being a coporate whore, it's reality. You can continue to live in the world where 'this whole thing will come around' or vilify me for choosing to accept the shitty situation we're in. But I'm not going to sit around aimlessly, be a hardass about how we're being so wronged, work 10 more years and get replaced. So go vomit ... I'm guess I'm just glad my stance matters. I didn't know my feelings on 'more with less' on its own merit will change the face of the entire industry.
    If it makes you feel any better, I also have strong positive stances on raises and and free danishes in the break room.

9. Oh, and thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Just what I was looking for.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd send them to the web sites. What makes you think the dream papers are gonna hire anyone anytime soon?

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Who has the money or time to do that if you already have a job? Don't get into a habit of visiting an out-of-town paper on your own dime for the hope of landing something. If you're on the radar and the paper wants you, they'll bring you in.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Send them everywhere... After all, everyone is hiring...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.