1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cold-brewed tea - opinions?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Vombatus, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I am too damn lazy to brew hot tea (even in a microwave), plus, I prefer my tea cold.

So, lately I found a variety of cold-brewed tea products, from a basic Lipton offering, to several flavors of Twinings and from another company called Stash.

Anyway, I fill a couple of BPA-free bottles of water, pop in some tea bags, stick them in the office refrigerator overnight, and voila, about 64 ounces of cold tea awaits me the next morning.

Then, I reuse the teabags one more time for refills during the day, because, yes, I am cheap enough to reuse a teabag.

Anyone else trying the cold-brew route and liking it?

The four things I like about them are:
    1) very easy to do
    2) economical
    3) I think zero calorie or damn close to it (unless you add sugar, which I don't)
    and
    4) it gives me a cheap alternative to blasting through four or five K-cups in my Keurig each day.

Thoughts, opinions and suggestions appreciated.

VB

PS. This thread is not meant to have anything to do with Krystals, NOLA or any deviant acts. Although this time last year produced a fun thread on the subject.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Have you tried launching a Pinterest channel dedicated to this topic?

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Point well taken, and a good LOL. Figured we were discussing Keurigs... so...

The mere suggestion of Pinterest makes it sound like I have created a wussified topic.

4. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

If it walks like a wuss, and quacks like a wuss....

5. Simon

Simon Active Member

I've used this since my family received it as a Christmas gift one year about 15 years ago.

http://www.mrcoffee.com/product.aspx?pid=46

It takes 60 seconds to make and tastes like real iced tea. Sugar or no sugar.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Same here. I got it, thought, sheesh, what a waste; it's just as easy to brew it on the stove. Ignored it for months, then gave it a test drive. I love it.

You fill the little machine thingy with tap water and the pitcher either to here with ice or to there with water, add a bag and hit go.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm just joshing.
    Feel free to discuss anything that interests you. I am not the judge of what is worthy or wussy.

I'm just a joke maker.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I can't stand hot tea.

It's gotta be cold, with sugar.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I like the Lipton Cold Brew bags OK. But I didn't really try anything else to compare them with. After doing fancy loose teas for a few years in the 1990s, I went back to the regular Lipton. I think the regular Lipton is superior to the Cold Brew, but sometimes I'm not in the mood to boil water.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As a kid, I used to make "Suntea"; get a large jar (64 oz or so), fill with water, stick 5-10 Lipton bags in, screw top on and leave out in the sun to brew for a day or so and VOILA!! Suntea.

11. And therein lies the rub ... mixing sugar into a cold beverage.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Sun tea, with ice cubes, nothing else.

Draft saved Draft deleted