1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cold and Flu Rememdies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

A note if you are single (and even if you are not, I guess):

Pick up plenty of the above (or what you like of the above) and put it in the cabinet now, even if you are not sick. When you're sick and can't get out of the house to go buy it, you'll already have it. You won't have to rely upon someone else go get it for you.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Room-temperature bourbon and cigarettes

3. redsox99

redsox99 Member

I've battled a cold the last couple of days with a cough. I've been taking a tablespoon of pure honey every night and it knocks the cough right out.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I find Fisherman's Friend lozanges pretty good for most sore throat problems. Although they do not taste very good. Their Web site suggests dropping the lozanges in hot tea and breathing in the vapors, which I've never tried because the thought never crossed my mind.

The CDC says we're above epidemic level for flu. Pretty interesting map at the bottom:

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Because it's a wonderful thing to experience and re-experience the body's strength in destroying infection.

It makes you feel truly alive.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I bought:

2 gallons of Orange juice with extra calcium
    Theraflu (like a cough syrup consistence) day and night (10 percent alcohol!)
    Six containers of yogurt
    Two tubs of cottage cheese
    Two cans of chicken noodle soup

I mainlined about 3/4 of a gallon of orange juice in my car on the way home from the store.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

So you're trying to throw up, is what you're saying?

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Well I don't eat them all at once!

But I do love me some cottage cheese...and anything I can eat that won't aggravate my throat is a win-win right now.

9. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I highly recommend the new Puffs laced with Vicks.
    And Benedryl to dry you out and help you sleep.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Screwdrivers. Seriously. The combination of orange juice and vodka always takes care of colds for me.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

The flu kills tens-of-thousands Americans a year. Granted, mostly the very young and the very old. It's worth getting the vaccination.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

My shop has a deal with a doctor in town where we get our flu shots at no cost to our employees. My publisher feels it's a small price to pay versus having a flu epidemic hit the building. I get it because it's free to me, and I'll take advantage of any perk given to me in this business.

Draft saved Draft deleted