1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cold and Flu Rememdies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

I'm a big believer in not committing "presenteeism." They'll figure out something. Stay home, take your [insert your choice of remedy/prescription here]. Take a long weekend, stay in bed as much as possible thru Sunday, go in Monday. Hopefully you won't be contagious any more by then.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presenteeism

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I can't believe you guys go through this shit. It's 2008.
    Get your ass to the doctor or clinic in October, put down $25 and get a flu shot.
    I've had the flu once in eight years.
    (If you're allergic to eggs and/or dairy, then I understand). But, good Lord, why put yourself through this?

(Colds are a whole other issue. A multivitamin and hand sanitizer is the best I can do).

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

The Godfather cure: "Have some brandy and sweat it out."

While it's not a home remedy, I recently tried Zicam (which is basically lots of zinc) and was amazed at how well it worked.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've always been a big Zicam fan. If I started using the swabs as soon as I felt the first sign of a cold (for me, a scratchy throat) I could usually ward it off completely. Problem is last year, I started getting nosebleeds from it, so I've decided to take a break. I haven't gotten any colds since, fortunately.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

If you're of a certain age and there are sinuses involved, check with your doc or the pharmacist before buying over-the-counter sinus stuff. The combination of OTC sinus med and a slightly enlarged prostate (though I'm still not sure what caused what) landed me in the hospital with a certain dysfunctional bodily function the weekend before Christmas.
    Off to visit the urologist tomorrow, costing me rehearsal time for a benefit variety show I'm in. Swell.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Was that last part a play on word(s)? ;)

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Zicam also has sprays and lozenges. But now I just buy the CVS zinc tablets in the vitamin section and down them like a vitamin C tablet.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I feel like I'm dying.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

But you're not.
    Sleep helps. Big time.

10. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

"You're not dying. You just can't think of anything better to do."

Sorry, couldn't resist the Ferris comeback. Hope you're feeling better

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

No time for sleep. Plus, I can't sleep because my throat hurts too badly.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

two people can help you: jack daniels and evan williams. do not drink it cold and chase the last shot with nyquil. other than the hangover, you will feel better in the morning.

Draft saved Draft deleted