1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

colbie calliat .... yay or nay

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Jun 20, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The I Kissed A Girl song is by Katie Perry (?). It's quite good, plus she has a song about glitter and Vegas that might have written about me.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think buckweaver wrote that and optioned it to Perry. :D

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Shit's burning up the airwaves in Florida right now. It's cute the first 75 listens or so, then it becomes impossibly grating.

I will say this: it's the best club song since "Ayo Technology" by 50 and Justin Timberlake.

4. imjustagirl

I think I'm horrified by this entire idea.

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

People still listen to the radio?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I get that. My point was this is not an artist I would look to for deep thinking.

I remember when Mrs. OOP and I were like that. We annoyed the hell out of everybody. Then we got back to just me being annoying. :)

7. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Weird topic: I went to high school with Colbie, and none of us had ANY CLUE she'd blow up like this. Very weird.

That being said, an emphatic YAY, for what she does. She's not Zeppelin, nor does she have to be. Better than most of the shit that's out there.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think when assessing her, she gets extra credit for:

1. Writing her own songs. Or at least participating in the writing process.

2. Playing the guitar.

3. She didn't get famous (just) because she was hot, or was just off humping someone famous. She wrote some songs, put them on her myspace page, and people kept going there to listen to them. Then record companies fought to sign her.

It's kind of mindless pap, but she's 23 and she's already writing her own songs, playing her own instruments and isn't in the tabloids every week toting around her two kids or her cocaine addiction. She's not Liz Phair as a songwriter by any stretch, but to me, at least she represents the thing where people get famous for their actual talents (and we can debate just how talented she is, but there is SOME talent there) as opposed to being famous or popular for reasons that no one seems to be able to explain.

If I had a young teenage or pre-teenage daughter, and she said she was into Caillat -- instead of some of the other sluts and skanks who can't carry a tune without hours of remixing on the soundboard and can't wait to get out of the studio to score some blow -- I'd do backflips.

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

... is a slightly more masculine version of John Mayer.

And they both suck.

10. imjustagirl

That just made me laugh really hard.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Katy, but yea that song was definitely written for you by buckdub and passed along to her.

As for calliat, I've heard of her but never actually listened to her which is surprising considering I've been on a female singer/songwriter kick for more than a year.

12. imjustagirl

We're talking about the music, son, not your crushes.

:D

Draft saved Draft deleted