1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coker officially out at Miami

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stretch15, Nov 24, 2006.

1. The Orange Bowl is Miami's problem? Come on. USC seems to be doing OK playing in their old stadium in a not-so-nice part of town. Miami's problem has nothing to do with the stadium they play in six/seven times a year.

2. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

coker's a great guy but i can't fault the u. for cutting him loose. the program is clearly pointing in the wrong direction under his command, and he shows no signs of being capable to reverse course. he was 31-2 at one point, with the NFL first-round talent butch davis stockpiled, but he's 24-12 the past three seasons on his own. that's great for temple, not good enough for miami.

either he's not landing the primo players or he's not extracting their talent. and the x's and o's on his side of the ball are below-par. def coordinator randy shannon has done a great job and deserves a crack, but he's probably too tainted by the coker regime. the canes will likely clean house and break from the past, making shannon a longshot.

3. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Was anyone else frustrated by the level of questions being asked during the Dee press conference?

Rather than asking a direct, no wiggle-room question such as "What impact did the two brawls Miami has participated in the last year have on Coker's firing?", the reporters repeatedly kept asking questions about "off the field incidents" and including Pata's death in the questions. It allowed Dee to repeatedly wiggle out of the question with a "Pata's death had nothing to do with this" while ignoring the brawl part of the question.

Questions are such an important part of our job and it drives me nuts listening to reporters grandstand, double barrell and otherwise fuck up questions in major press conferences. The White House press core is the worse but sports reporters are pretty bad too. Does anyone else think we have a major problem with the way we ask questions?

(although I give credit to whoever asked Dee about HIS job security at the beginning of the press conference. That was a great question.)

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

My greatest complaint about our profession.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

This line is one of the reasons I heart DD.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

for what it's worth (and it's not worth much) local radio here was reporting in the hour leading up to the presser that dee was out, too.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Didn't Coker have some bad luck with recruits as well?
    Signing players who later got drafted and signed with a baseball team and big names who said yes, but changed, literally, on signing day.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Bring back Sam Jankovitch (cq?)!

Draft saved Draft deleted