1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coin flip determines NCAA Men's College Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'll repeat what I just typed: Change for the sake of change is not always a good thing, especially when there is no viable alternative.

And offering an opinion is one thing. Bouncing up and down saying "this sucks" without offering any alternative is just silly.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

But would it be change for the sake of change? I mean, wouldn't you hope a change might attract more viewers/fans?

There's a reason, a specific one, why soccer isn't as big in this country as people want to think. I'll give you one guess why....

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The NASL did that too. The NY Cosmos lost the championship game one year when their guy scored, but didn't beat the clock.

4. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

I covered an Indiana boys regional final last year that went to 14 rounds of PKs in 28-degree weather. Ended up getting one of my showcase clips and one of my best photos out of it.

I just don't see how you settle soccer any other way. You could play all night without somebody scoring.

I do like the idea of a shootout-style ending, though. That would level the field for the goalie.

5. JackReacher

Who's bouncing up and down saying it sucks? Certainly not me.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

And you know what? I don't care. And neither do any of the other people worldwide who love this sport.

If it's not your cup of tea, that's OK too, but you would alienate as many people by changing the game for the sake of non-soccer fan Americans as you would gain.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'm allright with PKs or strokes in field hockey. I grew up in a soccer community, and personally I'd rather see a game decided on PKs than an inadvertent handball in the box.

Anyway, anyone who says it's all on the goalie didn't see the kid from UNC miss the goal on his PK in the Final Four. Granted, most of the pressure is on the goalie, but there is a ton of pressure on the shooters too.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Please. There are a number of reasons that many Americans have no interest in soccer, and lack of scoring is but one.

Unless you're saying that millions of people are just waiting for more games to end with 3-2 scores so they can finally start enjoying the sport ...

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

There's always more pressure on the shooter to score, because that's what's supposed to happen.

10. JackReacher

Fair enough. Maybe that's just why I don't like it.

And GB answered my question about whether a change would attract more viewers/fans. Apparently, not as much as it would piss off a bunch of old-school fans. Also...fair enough. I didn't know the answer to that. Now, I do.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

How does making it a bit easier to score change the sport? The skills remain the same. Didn't hockey make some minor changes not that long ago?

Forget love of sport, all our other debate here. Yes or no question: Are you really OK with PKs deciding a major championship?

12. JackReacher

Because that's how they've always done it, Moddy. Jeez. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted