1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coin flip determines NCAA Men's College Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Oh, PKs, same damn thing.

(yes, I know we have a soccer thread).

This is the biggest prize in intercollegiate soccer. Play until somebody scores. Nobody's going anywhere anyways.

Can you imagine them stopping the third game of the CWS Championship Series after 11 innings and playing home-run derby to decide who wins? Stopping the men's basketball title game after an OT and shooting free throws? Having a putt-off if the Masters is still tied after 22 holes? Having a shootout after one OT of a Stanley Cup playoff game?

Of course not.

What a terrible way to determine a champion. No way did Virginia (or Akron, had it won the PKs) prove it was the better team ON THE FIELD.

And yes, I played soccer, in high school and college.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

PKs are luck. Guess right by the goalie, guess right by the kicker.

I was hoping Akron would win so it would be national champ without scoring an actual goal in the final four.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

PKs are far from luck.

PKs are nerve, and holding it well enough to execute a good shot. If you take a good enough penalty, no goalie is going to stop it.

Some people can do it, and some people can't, but it's very far from luck.

4. Moderator1

That's more what I meant, I guess. Goalie has no chance against a well-struck ball - it is luck when he stops it.
    The main point still stands. A suck-dog way to determine a champion.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

No, in many ways a suck-dog way to determine a champion is to keep players playing until they can't run anymore, where you're waiting for a mistake instead of a moment of brilliance to win it.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I've covered a couple state championship HS soccer games that went to PKs. Not saying it's the best way to determine a champ, but it damn sure was exciting.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

As a hockey fan... No chance in hell I want a final decided by penalty shots, penalty kicks, or an derivative thereof.

That's what overtime is for. And, yes, games are then decided on lucky bounces as often as they are decided by great plays. At least they're decided by playing the game.

9. Moderator1

So, just go to a foul shooting contest or a home run derby? You, a soccer fan, are OK with PKs?
    When the final four was played in Richmond, I did a big story one year on soccer's crappy way of breaking ties. Got some interesting replies and the consensus was, "No, it does suck, totally, but no one has come up with a better way so we're stuck with it."
    Because, as you said, fatigue becomes a monster factor.
    What they need to do is find ways to make it easier to score. There were FIVE shots on goal in regulation and two OT periods today, is that right?

One coach told me he played in an old pro league years ago where they'd play five-minute extra sessions and pull a player for each one.
    "First one to go was the goalie and you'd be surprised at how often the games went on and on and on and on."

No "moment of brilliance" won that for VA today.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

How bout if basketball OT was decided by a 3-point competition...If that was the case, Creighton would've beaten Mason yesterday. :)

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Threadjack...for whatever reason, some AP stories come into our system very slightly garbled in a strange way. Instead of each apostrophe, there's a hard return, so a new graf on each one. It's easy to tell on contractions, but I nearly missed one yesterday on Creighton's P'Allen Stinnett.

Also, "P'Allen" has jumped to the top of the list of potential names for Unborn Baby Circus.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Same goes with free-throws, field-goals, and home runs hit in HR derby. They shouldn't be deciding championships.

And that's how games, or championships, are often decided. A team capitalizes on the other team's mistake.

As far as "players running until they can't run anymore," both teams also had numerous subs who probably didn't play a minute. I suspect they still had fresh legs.

The top two soccer championships in this country (NCAA men's, MLS) both were decided in PKs, which, as Moddy said, is still one mighty suck-dog way to determine a national champion. And it's also a mighty suck-dog way to dtermine the best soccer team in the world, if it comes down to that next summer.

Draft saved Draft deleted