1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coffee thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Aug 9, 2008.

1. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I dig Peet's, but I don't have one nearby. Anytime I'm in either Portland or Seattle, I usually find one, though.

I was trying to stay away from this thread. I spent two-plus years as a Starbucks barista and turned in my apron less than two months ago. Because of some issues with my store/district and the way a few close friends in other districts were treated, I decided before I quit that once I was gone, it was going to be breakup. I'm now in the process of getting myself hooked on a much smaller dosage of caffeine than I was consuming with discount, so that I won't have to depend on a coffee shop or Starbucks each morning.

On that note, if you choose to buy Starbucks beans (personally, I love Guatemala, Brazil Ipanema or the Pike Place Roast), buy them in the store, not at a grocery store. Nothing to do with profits, but a full pound runs from 9.95 to 12.95 (unless you get Arabian Mocha Sanani....delicious but 14.95/lb.) in the store and the baristas will grind it for free. Plus, it should be fresher in SB cafes. In grocery stores, half-pounds of Starbucks cofee is typically 7.95.

I have a Delonghi 10-cup coffee maker and a Barista (SB) espresso machine, but both are pricey...I only purchased them because I was able to get them on my discount some time ago.

My advice for finding coffee is to always keep looking, though. I was raised on Starbucks (being a Seattle native helps that happen), but I love to talk coffee with baristas at other joints and try new blends or brews.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Ducky, I would rather put a handful of dirt in my press than fill it with Starbucks.

I hate burnt, bitter, over-roasted coffee.

If that makes you feel any better. :)

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Sale!

http://www.ikitchen.com/cubrth10cupc.html

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Meh. I'd rather grind my own beans. End product tastes a helluva lot better.

(Something there just sounds dirty. :D )

5. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I have the Cuisinart with the glass carafe and it has a few bells and whistles, it beeps when the coffee is ready and it turns off automatically, which is good, you never have to worry whether you turned the coffeemaker off. Also, grind your own beans is the only way to go. Starbucks coffee tastes burnt, I agree. I like Trader Joe's coffee but lately I've been using Schuil coffee from Michigan. I used to love Barney's coffee shops, where I bought the whole beans. They did the best roasting. Anyone know what happened to them?

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

:eek: 8) :) ;D :D

I am seeking samples locally and shall report back.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Some of my coworkers at my last paper, as well as the security guy and front desk gal who I chatted with, used to love my cinnamon coffee cake because I made it with coffee, not just water. It was, typically, a hit.

I almost wish I had an office to share it with so I could make some more and not have to eat the entire cake myself...

8. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Go call on the Krupps machine. Good coffee, easy to clean.

Have access to locally roasted beans. Who knew they roasted beans in flyover country. Nearest Spawn of Satan is 37 miles away. We be rural but we be Starbucks free.

Every Xmas, I splurge on a pound of the world's richest sisters' Kona beans. Occasionally a fellow travel will return from Guatemala with 5 or so pounds of beans. Life is good.

My first taste of real coffee came in 1970 in Eugene at the first coffee shop I'd ever seen. That day, I threw away my can opener. Maxwell House profits have plummeted since then.

Two pots a day keeps me sane. Alright, jittery and semi-sane.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I wooted this espresso machine yesterday http://shop.vendio.com/eng68/item/961977567/?s=1225449344 for 90 bucks.

From what I understand it's a pretty solid machine. Anyone else use it.

Now, for a grinder.

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I guess I'm weird. I have a four-cup Mr. Coffee coffee maker and I drink Folgers medium roast.

I moved to a place where the only coffee option is Starbucks (which their coffees are okay in a pinch but I've fallen in love their their Signature hot chocolate. OH MY GOD that stuff is great.) but I used to buy locally-roasted beans in my old hometown. Folgers isn't bad, but I have hazelnut creamer that I put in it. Now that we're finally getting into the cold season, I might drink more coffee, but I miss my old French roast blend that I got from my coffeehouse.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Naw, man. You ain't weird. I decided to keep my 10-year old Sunbeam with nothing but an On/Off switch. I love espresso, so I decided to jump on this one when I saw it on woot.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I use the timer on my Mr. Coffee every weekday, but on the weekends, it's French press all the way.

I actually picked up a six-cup Starbucks press a few weeks ago at a yard sale for $5. Suckers.

Draft saved Draft deleted