1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coffee thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Aug 9, 2008.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Your new maker has to have a stainless steel carafe. Only way to go.

The new issue of Cook's Illustrated has their rundown of coffee makers, and I trust them with anything food and beverage-related.

And I rock the Eight AM brand whole bean. Buy it at Target.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Second on the 8:00 whole bean. It's relatively cheap at Teeter and Kroger, and you can usually get a coupon for it with a VIC/Plus card.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Eight O'Clock whole bean Colombian (brown bag) is damn good coffee. I get the 42-ounce bag at the warehouse club instead of the 12-ounce bag at the grocery.

I bought a Cuisinart Coffee On Demand coffeemaker last winter:

[​IMG]

http://www.cuisinart.com/catalog/product.php?product_id=376&item_id=472&cat_id=3

(No, I didn't pay a C-note for it.)

No carafe. It's like Pavlov's coffee maker --- press bar, get coffee. Uses paper filters --- I could get a permanent filter for it but I find the permanent filters lead to gritty coffee, for some reason. :-\

GE's One-Touch Coffee Grinder is a good one, too.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

OK, bags, got my mag in front of me now.

The CI scoop:

The three most important things are thermal carafe (or a one-cup at a time job like 2much's), using good coffee and cold, filtered water, and getting a machine that brews at the right temperature (195-205 F) for the right amount of time (6-7 minutes for a pot).

The picked the Technivorm Moccamaster (model KBT741). The catch is, it retails for $239.

The cheaper alternatives that they like, with some reservations, were the Krups 10-cub (FMF5), the Cuisinart 12-cup (DGB-900BC) and the Black & Decker 10-cup (TCM830).

The Queez is a $200 machine, too. Krups was $95 (their best-buy) Black and Decker was $60.

Happy hunting.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Have you had Jamaican Me Crazy coffee? It's good.

6. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Coffee's gross. Yuck. :-X

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

www.coffeegeek.com

And nice call on Intelligentsia. They roast really good coffee.

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I love a cup for breakfast and on long road trips when I'm driving. And I can say with pride I've never been to Starbucks or had a cup of their coffee.

I have a simple coffee maker, and I usually buy mild roast of whatever is on sale. But I find Folgers the best.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I've probably had a dozen or so coffee makers over the years. Just broke the carafe on the last one and can't find a replaement for it. Of course, they don't want to sell me a new carafe, they want me to buy a new coffee maker.

If you want to go really low tech with incredibly good results, I'd suggest a French Press coffee maker.

[​IMG]
    Simple.

Measure out coffee in the glass carafe. Course grind only)

Pour in hot water.

Stir and wait four minutes.

Plunge slowly.

Pour.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I was at my brother's recently, and he has a stainless steel fancy-schmnancy carafe-type coffee maker. He and I agreed it has to be the worst coffee maker known to man.

To me some of the best ones are the cheap ones with the old glass carafe. Altho, boy does coffeeman's look great.

As my mother says, Dunkin Donuts coffee "tastes like panther piss" because it's so weak. Starbucks burns its beans, probably taking away many of the antioxidant benefits of coffee.

I'm forever trying to find that coffee shop that isn't too bitter and isn't panther piss.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You need to try the Dunkin Donuts I've been in - and if your mom likes it strong, order her some of that Black Cat Blend from Intelligentsia.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'll give it a try!

Draft saved Draft deleted