1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coffee thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Aug 9, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

We had a coffee thread a long time ago, and I have a few questions I need answered, so I figured now is as good a time as any for another one.

My coffee maker -- a 10-year-old Sunbeam model -- brews well, but I have a few complaints and am considering an upgrade. With my current model, it's hard to pour water into the tank, it has no extra features like autobrew or brew-strength control and the carafe spills water and coffee quite a bit. :'(

I'd like to correct those problems, but there's a ton of coffee makers out there with a million different features and such. What type of maker do you have? What type of filter does it use? What type of other features do you have and how well do they work?

And then, there's the bean (no jokes, please).

I use Melita French roast. It's cheap, about $2.50 a can at the grocery store on post, normally accompanied with a $.50 coupon.

I've certainly never considered myself as wise on coffee as I need to be. I know there are a hundred different types and brands. Which do you use and why?

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I tend to only drink Seattle's Best French Roast - whole bean. Whole bean is the only way to go. It has a much better taste.

Though, for a long time I was really into Sumatra.

If you are looking for coffee with a bite, definitely go Columbian.

As far as the pot, I'd just find one that has autobrew and all that jazz.

I had one for awhile that had a grinder inside of it, but it was tedious to have to wash the unlimited coffee filter out every morning.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

You mean the grinder was a hassle? Or the permanent filter?

4. Whole bean is definitely the way to go. And don't grind the beans until you're ready to drink it over the course of a few days.

Caffe Verona at Starbucks is easily my favorite coffee. It smells incredible and has a great, great taste. But, of course, Starbucks coffee is going to cost a lot more than your $2 a can stuff.

If you really want good coffee, buy a French press. That way you can grind the beans with a more coarse grind and get better taste.

I'm starting to sound like a Starbucks employee. Oh wait ....

5. lono

lono Active Member

http://www.lioncoffee.com/

Thank me later.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have a grind and brew and love it. I don't use the permanent filter. I dump the filter, rinse it out and I'm ready to go. Coffee is your call - depends on your taste. Ducky loaded me up in Seattle with a nice variety.
    Dunkin Donuts is really good. We have a local grocery store that sells a terrific bean. The Black Cat blend at www.intelligentsiacoffee.com is extremely good. My niece calls it "poop in your pants" coffee. It is serious coffee.

My machine:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DGB-600BC-Grind-Brushed-Chrome/dp/B00006F2MI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1218337064&sr=8-2

7. Good machine and good price Moddy.

When my Starbucks closes, I'm going to off someone so I can get out with one of the espresso machines.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I [heart] Intelligentsia coffee.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

In the same vein, is there a decent espresso machine out there that doesn't cost a buttwad of money, or am I better of hitting cafes for my latte fix?

10. There are some, but they won't be as good and will take a lot longer than it will just to walk in a Starbucks -- or wherever else you go.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That's what I had as well. I just got bored of having to wash out the filter every morning, rather than throw the paper filter away. Of course, I guess I am not doing my part for the environment, plus it is much more annoying - in hindsight - to have to grind the beans separate.

Good call on Dunkin Donuts, by the way. I'd never had it until I moved to Texas and they make a great brew. I saw Dunkin Donuts' main beans showing up in Albertson's in Texas this spring. So it is available at the store, not just the Dunkin Donuts shops.

12. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I've got this single-serve machine from Tassimo, MM. It makes a damn good latte -- with real espresso and steamed milk, none of that "pour out contents of packet and stir" crap. You can pick up the Maxwell House or Gevalia espresso/milk T-discs at Bed, Bath and Beyond or Target for a reasonable price, averaging out to $0.50 per latte. Beats the heck out of paying $4 at Starbucks; I've already come out ahead on buying the machine and T-discs than I would've spent at Starbucks/Seattle's Best in the last 4-5 months.

http://www.amazon.com/Braun-Tassimo-TA1200-Single-Serve-Hot-Beverage/dp/B000GH46FC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1218339730&sr=8-3

The selection can be found here: http://www.tassimodirect.com/tassimo/index.aspx

Draft saved Draft deleted